10 Reasons To Study Abroad This Summer

10 Reasons To Study Abroad This Summer

The main reasons to study abroad in the summer!
160

This past summer of 2017 I had the pleasure of going to Italy on a study abroad program through Stonehill College. The program focused on sustainability, art, food and environmental science. We lived on this off-road farm where we harvested potatoes, created our own art supplies, such as paper, and got to venture into Siena, Italy. The program lasted a quick three weeks- however, I stayed an extra week with my friend so we could visit Rome, Florence, Positano, and Pisa! So, basically, if you have seen the Lizzie McGuire movie when she goes to Italy, that was me minus the hot pop singer.

There were seven Stonehill students that accompanied me on my grand adventure across the globe! They are some of the best people I have ever met and I am so grateful to have met them! However, not only did our course cover science, and art, it also fulfilled my Learning Community requirement and Moral Inquiry! So here are some reasons why you should study abroad in the summer!

1. You get to fulfill credits while in a foreign country

While going to college to pursue your dreams is fun, it requires putting in the hours. Over the course of four years at college, you have to obtain a certain number of credits. However, if you plan to double major, or minor it can be difficult to find room for studying abroad and fulfill your credits. But, by studying abroad in the summer you kill two birds with one stone; fulfilling credits and visiting a foreign country!

2. You don't miss out on fun with friends at school! NO F.O.M.O HERE!

While studying abroad during a semester is fun, you can't help but wonder what's going on back home. By studying during the summer, you aren't missing Stonehill Bingo nights, Saturday night vent sessions with friends, or Fresh Check Day- because who wants to miss tiny, cute animals?

3. You get to brag!

All your friends are at work at home while you're in a foreign country! Who wouldn't brag about that? Also, depending on the program, you can study abroad for a few weeks and still have time to come home to work! So, you can make money and study abroad, its a win-win!

4. You have more time to take classes because you took school during the summer!

Do you plan on minoring? How about double-majoring? Same. However, it can be difficult to study all the subjects one wants and study abroad. By studying abroad in the summer your have more opportunities to minor or double-major increasing your skill set and building your resume!

5. You get to meet people you may not meet in class or on campus!

When you study abroad in the summer, you are with the group of people the entire time. Therefore, you are able to develop deep and lifelong friendships and relationships in a foreign country! How cool would it be to say you met your best friend in Africa?

6. It's a nice change of scenery after a year of working hard at school!

After a long year of hitting the books, it's refreshing to have a different view that the library. For example, the beautiful rolling hills of the Tuscany landscape. Studying abroad in the summer is like a gift you give yourself after a long year of work.

7.You don't need to worry about getting lost in a foreign country

When studying abroad in the summer, you are typically with your professors the majority of the time, at least that was the case on my trip! That way you never have to worry about getting lost or communicating! With adults around you get to be a kid more and truly enjoy your experience.

8. You get to eat lots of yummy food after eating school food for a year!

While I am so thankful for our amazing dining staff at the Commons, it is no gourmet Italian food. After a long year of eating school cafeteria food, you are gifted with delicious foreign food like yummy pasta and pizza. Trust me on this, once you eat Italian pizza, you will never go back. Ever.

9. Everything that happens during study abroad stays in the study abroad

Most of you have heard the saying, "Whatever happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas." Well the same applies when you're abroad. I would say more about my experiences but then I would be breaking the golden rule. Have fun and let your hair down!

10. In most foreign countries, you're of age! Welcome that glass of wine with dinner!

You are of age! Yes, in most foreign countries you are allowed to drink a delicious glass of wine with dinner or a fruity Bitter Shandy at the bar with friends.

If you have any questions about my trip through Stonehill feel free to contact me! The course was called Mindful Palette: Food, Art and Sustainability!