Why I'm Mad About The Democrat-Led Sit In

Our representatives are supposed to work for us, not strike for us.

56
washingtontimes.com

Conversations about gun regulation have sparked more conversation in the past two weeks than ever before. Following the mass shooting at Pulse, a gay night club in Orlando, constituents across both party lines have been calling their officials to action. Conservatives want the second amendment powers to ring true and stay strong, while liberals are fighting for more gun regulation as a way to prevent these shootings. In response to this, left wing representatives held a sit in with hopes of forcing a vote about gun control to happen. Don't worry, it didn't work. Pretty much nothing has been accomplished and zero pieces of legislation have been approved addressing the issue of gun control.

On Wednesday, June 22, 2016, congressman John Lewis of Georgia led democrat leaders in a dramatic sit in. He and his colleagues took to social media to keep constituents updated on the stale mate and actions they were taking. They were hopeful for an outcome that involved a vote on gun control, as four proposed pieces of legislation on the issue had been shot down the previous Monday. Though representatives chanted "No bill, no break," the sit in lasted for 25 hours, before ending so everyone could go home for the 4th of July. Representatives are promising to revisit the issue and look for solutions when the House reconvenes on July 5th.

This entire situation makes me feel failed by the legal system and our politicians. Why do things have to be so dramatic to inspire even the thought of change? Why is our nation so divided by red and blue, when both colors fly on our flag? Why can't our legislators see us as people who need their guidance and help instead of votes? Why can't things change for the better? Why can't we listen to smart people who propose solutions, even though he or she may be too liberal or too conservative for our liking? When did we lose the spirit of democracy? When did we forget that our Constitution is fluid and meant to serve all people? When did things get so bad?

Instead of responding with a sit in, I wish our leaders could have come together and looked for a bipartisan solution that would better the nation as a whole. The public as a whole wants change, and our representatives should meet that want with action. They shouldn't be so stalemated, allegedly on our behalf, that they can't do anything and resort to sits in and yelling at each other. In my opinion, this is blatant disrespect for the legal system and the people who vote, and both sides have participated. Most people I know are not extremely right wing, or extremely left wing, and most would be happy finding middle ground. When I vote, I hope to see action and change, not stalemates and filibusters. We have an election coming up in November. I encourage you to do some research, and call for change with your vote. It's time for our representatives to stand up and stand together, not sit in.