Maceo Parker: Funk's Biggest Superstar

Maceo Parker: Funk's Biggest Superstar

Maceo isn't just a man, but a funk legend.

17
Maceo Parker: Funk's Biggest Superstar

"Maceo! Blow your horn!" Were wise words shouted by the late, great James Brown towards his sax player at the time, Maceo Parker. During those days, Maceo was just known as one of Brown's outstanding musicians he had in his band. After, Maceo left Brown's group, he has to this day still been able to make a living off the genre, funk. From a sound that's like none other to catchy melodies and lyrics that pull you right in and makes you never want to leave; Maceo Parker knows what he's doing when it comes to funk music.

Born in Kinston, North Carolina in 1943, Maceo immediately had a musical influence in his life. With both of his parents, participating in their church's choir. With the help of his uncle, Maceo was introduced to jazz right away. Maceo' uncle, led a local jazz group and allowed Maceo and his two brothers to watch them rehearse, but in no time the three brothers made their own group, "the Junior Blue Notes".

From James Brown's band to playing with and lending his talents to George Clinton, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Keith Richards to name a few; Maceo has become quite the popular man when it comes to funk, jazz, and R&B music. With several stints in the James Brown band, Maceo was able to grow quite the resume, but receiving the chance to work with George Clinton and others only helped build Maceo's resume. Years of playing with such talented musicians and just getting through, Maceo was finally able to focus on his music in the 1990's when he released his first solo album titled, "Roots Revisited". Since then, Maceo has released eight albums throughout the 1990's and 2000's.

Maceo has been featured with Dave Matthews Band and Prince in the late '90's and early 2000's. Along with filming a documentary, "My First Name Is Maceo", Parker has lived quite the life. With the help of so many talented musicians and legends, Maceo has been able to create a funk and jazz resume like none other. Thanks to his solo career, Maceo has left a stamp on many funk enthusiasts' hearts.