Mac Miller's "Swimming" Really Helped Me Through Hard Times

Mac Miller's 'Swimming' Really Helped Me Through Some Hard Times

We all need to revisit and appreciate this Grammy Nominated album and celebrate how awesome it is.

90
Photo by Wikipedia (submitted by Chrisinbuffalo)

I would never claim that I was always an insane Mac Miller fan, but I definitely followed and listened to his popular songs throughout his career. Though, after he tragically lost his life, I really started listening to his music particularly his most recent album, 'Swimming'. When Mac passed away I was going through a really hard time in my life, I was struggling to find happiness in anything, I was in a vicious cycle of severe sadness that I could see was spiraling out of control.

I am also the last person to ever really tell anyone about the way I am feeling because that is just how I was raised and am as a result of it. I turned to music. Music is so special because when you can't find the words to describe how you're feeling, music is truly there for you, to say every word that you cannot.

I stumbled across 'Swimming', before I had really only known Mac for his catchy upbeat songs that I had heard throughout the years. I just decided to play the album one song at a time and when I heard the first song on the album, 'Come Back to Earth', I legitimately fell in love.

'Come Back to Earth' is about Mac Miller feeling detached from social situations around people that he used to have relationships with. He talks about how he would do anything to get out of his own head. This is something that I related to so much because when it comes to anything I can never get out of my own head. Nothing is really worse than that because you are just constantly making yourself relive something that made you really sad.

'Dunno' is about Ariana Grande and about how his life was so carefree and happy when she was around. He wishes that he didn't mess up things with her because now he is lost without her. I really loved this song because I love the way it sounds, but something that I always find myself doing is looking back on times where I was happier, and just trying to imagine myself at that moment now.

'2009' is a lot about Mac's past and the effects that it has had on his future. He questions what his life would be like if he wasn't a rapper. He talks about moving past his ex and moving past the depression that came with the breakup. Though he kind of reaches the end of the song by saying he has never really been in a better state. I loved this song because it should me that I can really make it through the tough time that I was going through. I could push past the sadness that I was feeling and eventually be happy like I was in the past.

Those are just my favorites on the album but there are so many other amazing songs. This entire album is about healing from something that you are going through. Mac had such a special talent of writing music that everyone could relate in some way. I feel honored to have found and listened to this album when I did, I don't know where I would be if I didn't.

I'm not really here to tell you that I think that Mac Miller should have one Rap Album of the Year at the Grammys, even though I think he should have, but I am here to say that Mac didn't only create the music he created art. He created a heart that healed so many, including me. I think he deserves all of the recognition and more, he was a true legend, and I hope his songs continue to help other people.