5 Influential Mac Miller Songs

5 Mac Miller Songs You Need To Listen To Keep His Legacy Alive In 2019

Months after his passing, Mac Miller's music is still in my constant rotation.

298

If anyone reading this follows me on social media or talks to me somewhat consistently, they already know how much recently I have been in a niche for Mac Miller. A few weeks ago on Twitter, an NPR Tiny Desk concert popped up on my feed (check out that NPR video here) and it just pushed me into a craving to listen to some Mac Miller.

While it was extremely difficult for me to funnel this down to five songs, I found it suiting to limit myself to this. By no means am I saying that any of these songs are the best off the album or the best from Mac in general, just some that I find very powerful.

1. Self Care - Swimming

This song came off his last album released shortly before his passing. This is personally one of my favorite songs of all time. The idea of 'self care' is something that has overtaken multiple social media platforms and slowly has become something that's original meaning has been taken out of context. Miller battled heavily with addiction and in other songs talked about his struggles. In this song, many are comforted by the lyrics, "Self care, I'm treatin' me right, yeah
Hell yeah, we gonna be alright."

2. BDE Bonus - Best Day Ever

The beginning of this song is a crescendo into a beat that loops for most of the song. Its combination of uplifting sound and carefree lyrics are a throwback to Miller's beginnings in the music industry. Miller also talks about his rise to fame in the music industry and how people used to not believe in him. "No matter where life takes me, find me with a smile. Pursuit to be happy, only laughing like a child. I never thought life would be this sweet. It got me cheesin' from cheek to cheek, aye, aye"

3. 100 Grandkids - GO:OOD AM

The first lines of this song are somber for me. The first time I listened to this song after Mac Miller's passing I seriously cried, "I made a promise to my momma. That I'll bless her with some grandkids, she can spoil them". Miller continues talking about how he is just living life until he meets the one to settle down with and love. I have grown to love the lyrics more than feel sad for them and this too is on my list of favorite songs.

4. Stay - The Divine Feminine 

This songs focal point is asking for his love to not leave him and, fitting with the song title, stay. The lyrics express not only the pain he feared from his relationship ending but the love that he had for his companion and the time they had shared together already.

5. Knock Knock

This song has hella nostalgia to me, this was the first song by Mac Miller I heard back in 2010. I vividly remember being 9 watching the music video for this one night on Music Choice back before AT&T U-Verse became DirecTV (talk about a throwback). The upbeat lyrics and beat made me giggle and the music video was even more entertaining. His album "K.I.D.S." came out that summer featuring other classic Mac Miller songs like 'Nikes on My Feet', 'Senior Skip Day' and 'Kool-Aid and Frozen Pizza'.

This one goes out to you Mac, rest easy. If you would like a playlist that includes some artists that have similar sounds or often collaborated with him, check out one of my playlists here.