Mac Miller

It Seems Like Addicts Would Rather Leave This Earth Than Be Attached To The 'Addict' Stigma

We have to stop the stigmatization around addiction.

131

Addiction is a problem that many had faced or is facing right now. The moment I had heard that Mac Miller passed away, I knew that it involved drugs. Even though I don't know a whole lot about his personal life, his struggles, and what was on his mind, I knew that he was struggling as a person.

What bothers me so much about his death was that nobody knew that he was struggling internally and needed help. It angers me that he had to keep his addiction on the down low because of what people would say if he came out as an addict and tried to seek help.

I learned that addiction has no color or status. It doesn't matter if you are white, black, rich, poor, unpopular, or famous- addiction is still frowned upon.

In the U.S. it is punished more than helped, and that is why addicts have a bad reputation. That's why addicts die every day. They have to face a bunch of criticisms while they are recovering or still struggling just to stay sober for a day. They would rather leave this earth and have people know the truth afterward than live knowing that they have a stigma attached to them.

Mac Miller's death made me realized that there is still progress to be made and that addiction is a problem that is not that easy to fix. If addiction was a choice, we would not have thousands of people die from overdose every day. Rehabilitation centers or AA/NA groups would be non- existent.

If addiction was so easy to avoid and "get over," then addicts would never be a thing. Many do not realize that addiction stems from various circumstances. Each person/addict needs more love than hate or criticism in this world. They are already hating themselves enough.

This had also impacted me personally because it reminded me of my own issues. Alcohol was and is still my friend to this day because of a lot I had gone through. I remember my junior year of college like it was yesterday. That year was when I turned 21 and I hated life. I would go to alcohol to drown the negative emotions and thoughts I had from situations that affected me.

At the time, my relationship with my father was not good and I felt like everyone around me hated me. This had caused me to act in ways that were unhealthy and self- destructive. People who looked on the outside would think I was just some drunk college girl who loved to party, but nobody knew that drinking was a way I could escape the pain that I felt.

I cannot speak for Mac but I can understand that like me, his life and choices was a cry for help that no one heard. I hope that one-day addiction will be met with compassion and that people do not have to suffer alone in fear that they would be judged.