All of Mac DeMarco's albums Explained

All of Mac DeMarco's albums Explained

What fuels Mac DeMarco's mellow music that we all know and love?

29
All of Mac DeMarco's albums Explained

Rock and Roll Night Club (2012)

YouTube

Imagine Elvis Presley's capturing voice. Now imagine him high as a kite, and playing alongside Alex Turner in a an low-budget venue that reeks of cigarettes and beer. That's what Mac DeMarco's first official album, Rock and Roll Night Club, sounds like.

"I think it's pretty funny, and the way Rock and Roll Night Club sounds is jizzy and kinda gross. It sounds a little jazzy, but not too jazzy, just jizz jazzy", DeMarco told Loud and Quiet.

As a debut album, it does its job to introduce you to the fun world of Mac DeMarco. The record was meant to be a joke in the beginning stages when Mac was experimenting with different sounds, but later became a success.

My song recommendation: "Only You"

2 (2012)

YouTube

Listening to this album, you are greeted with funky guitar riffs, beachy sounds and pleasant lyrics. The genuine group of songs were created while DeMarco was reminiscing on his own life and family.

"Freaking Out the Neighborhood", DeMarco's fourth most popular tune on Spotify, is an apology song to his mother for his lewd behavior, DeMarco told Interview Magazine.

"That song is to my mom, apologizing for being a bit of a disgrace to the family. They saw a video of me stickin' drumsticks up my ass on YouTube. When your relatives see something like that, you gotta reach the arms out", DeMarco said.

My recommendation: "The Stars Keep On Calling My Name"

Salad Days (2014)

YouTube

This album's purpose is to bring DeMarco and his fans' spirits up, and it does just that.

The collection of songs was created by Mac DeMarco to remind himself to "take all this stuff you're feeling and then pop yourself out of the slump," he told British music journalism magazine NME.

The term "salad days" is an idiom used by Shakespeare to describe the blissful period in one's life when they are the most inexperienced, young, or carefree.

My recommendation: "Salad Days" (duh)

Another One (2015)

YouTube

This album is a colorful collection of lo-fi love songs that's sure to make you miss your ex.

"It's just kind of like every angle of how somebody might feel if they're having strange feelings in their chest," DeMarco told NPR.

Mac DeMarco recorded the entire ensemble from his bedroom, and he even states his address at the end of the album in the when he tells listeners to "Stop on by, I'll make you a cup of coffee" in his song "My House by the Water".

My recommendation: "The Way You'd Love Her"

This Old Dog (2017)

YouTube

"Hey, everybody, I have daddy issues," says Mac. DeMarco was just five years old when his father left, and only saw him on occasion until he was diagnosed with cancer. DeMarco talks about his poor relationship with his father in This Old Dog, and many of the songs on the album were recorded just for himself.

The album also features his thoughts on family, love and home.

My recommendation: "My Old Man"

Here Comes The Cowboy (2019)

YouTube

The album is considered even more raw and self-reflecting than Mac DeMarco's past albums. It's emotional, slightly somber and the perfect music for a chill car ride.

DeMarco explains to RollingStone that the record is more honest than This Old Dog when it comes to discussing his feelings. The lyrics reflect the indie king's escapist thoughts, dreams of simpler times and a longing to present himself in a way that is authentic.

My recommendation: "On The Square"