Lyrical Dance Songs for Kids

10 Songs Perfect For A Kid's First Lyrical Dance

Some of my favorite songs for kids to do lyrical routines to

28837
Youtube

I've been a dance teacher and choreographer for over 4 years now and one of the biggest things I've learned is that it is very difficult to find a lyrical song for young dancers. You don't want a song that's too emotionally mature, but you also don't want a song that's too babyish and cheesy. A choreographer needs to find a happy medium. Here I've compiled a list of 10 of my favorite lyrical songs for children.

1. This is Me (Acoustic Version)- Demi Lovato

A beautiful song about self confidence! The lyrics are very uplifting and super appropriate for a little girl.

2. Wild Horses- Natasha Bedingfield

A song about escaping fear and running free! Bedingfield sings "Wild horses I want to be like you, throwing caution to the wind, I'll run free too." There's no mention of heartbreak or despair. Perfect for a little kid.

3. Finally Home- Natalie Grant

A slow song with a beautiful build up! I interpret the song to be about the safety and love of home.This song gives me chills just from listening to it. It's so beautiful.

4. Brave- Idina Menzel

A song about- yep, you guessed it- being brave! Idina's voice creates the picture of an innocent girl transforming to a courageous warrior on stage. Very powerful.

5. You Raise Me Up- Celtic Woman

Although many people know this tune as a Christian Song, it can be interpreted differently to not be about God. There are many versions of this song, but Celtic Woman's is my favorite for a young dancer because her voice is high-pitched and light as a feather.

6. Blessings- Laura Story

Again, this is a religious song, but it is one of my favorites. The song tells how sometimes the blessings in life are disguised as bad things. Laura Story's voice reminds me of an innocent child dancing around the stage.

7. The Climb- Miley Cyrus

Even this inspirational song from The Hannah Montana Movie makes my list. I absolutely despise country songs at dance competitions, but this is an exception. I love the message it sends and I think it is perfect for a young girl to dance to.

8. Because of You- Kelly Clarkson

Yes, this song breaks the rule about little girls dancing about heartbreak, but I love this song so much. I've seen 2 little girls do a solo to this song and both times were beautiful. I think it works so well because Clarkson's voice is so light that it matches the movements and emotions of a small dancer.

9. What a Wonderful World- LeAnn Rimes

This is a song about happiness set to a light and innocent voice. Great for young dancers!

10. When She Loved Me- Sarah McLachlan

Lastly, here is a song about sadness that is not about heartbreak. The sorrow expressed by McLachlan in this song can look beautiful on a little girl.