How Loving Your Job Can Actually Make You Healthier

A positive environment will ensure a positive outcome.

6
pexels.com

So, you’ve managed to make it past the confusing whirlwind of High School and the stressful bliss that is College. Now what? A lot of recent graduates, and even students who have been out of school for a few years, find themselves asking this question. In 2016, it seems to be an equally promising and dismal time for the job search, with Millennials pouring out of Universities by the thousands. Taking a job you hate, simply to pay bills and avoid temporarily moving back in with your parents, may actually be more detrimental to your adult growth/mental health than you believe. However, if you’re #blessed enough to find a job you love, you’ll fair much better as far as how you view the workforce and being on your own. So without further ado, here are five reasons why loving your job is good for your mental health.

1. You Will Be A Much Happier Person, In General: Now that I’m at a job I love, 8 hours flies by faster than 1 hour at my previous job. I’m no longer depressed, I’m surrounded by creative, intelligent coworkers and my creativity flourishes. I’m a brand new person, and I can thank my fulfilling job for that. Life is too short to wallow in a job you hate. Take the plunge, find another one and move on.
  2. It Doesn’t Feel Like Work: When you’re stuck at a job you hate, every minute seems to tick by agonizingly slower than the last. You watch the clock, you fidget, you’re not productive. When you do eventually commit to sitting down and finishing your work, it drags on rather than flying by. When you work at a job you love, hours fly by as if they’re minutes. You’re engaged, focused, and above all else, you’re enjoying what you’re doing.
  3. Work-Life Balance Is Not A Big Issue: When working a job you hate, specifically one with strict vacation/sick day policies, it may seem like your entire life is taken up by this job. Even when you’re not at the office, you’re there mentally. Just knowing you have to wake up in the morning to drag yourself back into that office tomorrow is enough to sour your mood each and every day. However, in a job you love, work and life blend together in serendipitous harmony, making each day a sweet reminder that when you arrive at your office, you can do what you love for a majority of the day.
  4. You Learn More About Yourself: Many times people who work a job they hate feel that their skills, abilities and personality are overshadowed by their environment or job duties. For whatever reason, they can’t loosen up and get comfortable. This causes two problems: you are unable to grow in your field and you are unable to grow as an individual. When working a job you love, you’re given the freedom to open up as a person, take pride in your work, and you’ll be a much more tolerable human being with your coworkers.
  5. You’ll Feel Proud Of Your Work: One of the reasons you may hate your job is the actual duties themselves. Maybe it’s not your forte, or perhaps it’s downright boring. At a job you love, you can talk freely with others about the work you’re doing, you work carefully so that you can take price in it at the end of the day, and you may find that you’ve gained some surprising new skills/you’re exceptional at this job. You’re a fish, not a squirrel. Of course you won’t be successful when asked to climb a tree. However, if they drop you in the water, where you belong? There’s no stopping you.