Love Yourself Unconditionally

Love Yourself Unconditionally

Who says you're not beautiful?

14
Love Yourself Unconditionally
Express Success

We are a society obsessed with image. Everything from our hair to our outfit, posting pictures and statuses on Facebook and Instagram, waiting impatiently to see who will “like” it and how many “likes” we’ll eventually get. Spending hundreds of dollars on makeup and clothing, spending hours in front of the mirror every day picking at ourselves and doing more damage to our own self-image than any one else. We are our own worst critic, and I’m right up there with the worst. I look in the mirror and I only see my flaws. I see the way that a shirt or dress seems to highlight the worst parts of my body, the way that a certain hairstyle absolutely does not flatter my face, or how tired I look when I don’t wear makeup. I wonder if that cute person that I passed earlier thought I was cute too, and if so, what they saw in me that they thought was cute. And from that train of thought, I tell myself that there is nothing about me that’s cute or attractive, so obviously the other person didn’t think there was either. I’m so self-deprecating and so harsh on myself that even though other people have told me I’m pretty and I’ve had a couple relationships in the past, I still can’t see anything that might attract someone else. I just can't shut off my negative opinion to look objectively at myself or see myself from someone else's view.

I don’t mean to write this as a cry for attention or anything, but as an olive branch for anyone out there who might feel the same way, boy or girl. It’s hard sometimes, I know, to look at yourself and find something about yourself that you really like, but I want you to do me a favor. I want you to do your best and find something you like about yourself once a day. It could be anything. Maybe you really like the way your eyes look that day. Or maybe your eyeliner game is on point today. That skirt looks really cute with that top. Your hair turned out amazing. Whatever it is, find something. Compliment yourself on it. Come right out and tell yourself “Your eyes are really pretty. Your skirt is really cute. Your hair looks really nice.” And give yourself a smile in the mirror. Take a selfie. Take another one. Take 20, 30, 50 of them. Take as many as you want. Then, take that smile and that confidence and give a compliment to someone else so they can feel some of that love and confidence. Spread it like fire. You have no idea what someone else has been through today. A simple compliment, or even just a smile and a “hello,” might completely turn their day around. Life is too short and this world is too big to not tell another girl she looks pretty or another boy that his hair looks good. And enough with the “no homo” stipulation. You can have an opinion and tell someone of the same sex that they look good without any sexual meaning behind it. Just compliment them, add something nice to their day, give them that little confidence boost. Just be a nice person. Smile at the stranger you pass on the sidewalk, say hi to your neighbor. Whatever gesture you’re willing to give, go for it and commit to it 100 percent. You have no idea what you could be missing by keeping your eyes on the ground (or your phone) and ignoring everyone around you. Be friendly. Be happy. Be nice. Be confident. Love yourself and love others. The world is so full of hate and unhappiness already. Do what you can to add a little love and happiness to yours and someone else’s. You never know when you might need a little from someone else.