Cherish Your Family More Than The Holiday Season
Family Friends

Living Halfway Across the World From My Parents Taught Me To Cherish Them More Than Just The Holiday Season

Take it from a girl who only see her family once every two years.

156
Nacha Promsatian

The holidays are creeping on us already. How did 2018 go by so fast? If you know me you know that I love the holidays. The winter wonderland snow, the Christmas songs, the smell of pine and most importantly MULLED WINE. However, it's also my favorite time of year because usually, I'd be able to see my family halfway across the world.

If you've met me before you've probably already heard the family spiel. I moved to America at a pretty young age without them and was housed and taken care of by one of my best friend's mother, which I am very thankful for. Without her, I would have never been able to navigate my life in America at the age of 16.

Ever since moving here, its always been hard to go home. I'm either financially stricken or I have obligations to work or school. I try to go back every two years, but even then I only have at most one month to spend with my family. A month may sound like a lot of time with your parents, for me, it's never enough.

Don't get me wrong, after a month in the same home with my family, I usually want to rip my hair out but that doesn't mean I don't want them around me. I've grown comfortable being independent but sometimes I do yearn for the emotional support.

I miss having my mother cooking for me all the time, my dad taking me out on trips, my step-father arguing with me and my brother just sitting there playing his video games in the same room ignoring my existence. Like every other family, we have our moments but because we're destined to be so far apart we cherish each other more than ever when the time comes to meet up.

The holiday seasons shouldn't be the only time you reminisce about the times you've spent together but it should be every day. The month before I moved to the States, I was 16 and eager to move out. After being in high school for three months in America, I called my mom crying and told her how much I missed everyone back home.

I spend most of the holidays crashing my friends family gatherings and the thing I envy the most is that everyone but me was able to spend time with their family during the holidays. One year I cried about it, but it made me think about my behavior towards my friends and family. With the short time I have to see them, I should treat them better because they are the ones who have supported me throughout my life and I hate ending a good time on a bad note. I guess being apart from them was good for us after all.

Cherish the time with your family not just during the holidays but all year round. Treat them kindly because they deserve nothing less than the best of you.