I Love You Enough To Know It's Time To Say Goodnight

I'll see you on the rainbow bridge, "good boy."
31

Losing a pet is arguably the hardest thing we will ever lose in our lives. Losing people is hard, yes, but losing a pet is a different kind of pain. Why? Humans live their lives and meet so many different people; they make connections to so many others and develop relationships all over. Humans are missed by so many. Pets? We are their whole lives. Whatever their lifespan may be, the goldfish we had for a few weeks, the dog we had for 15 years, the cat we had for 20, that parrot that spent 45 years alongside us, we were everything to them.

We come home each day, and they're the happiest to see us. A pet's love is unconditional, and you won't ever find that kind of loyalty in a human being. They are our family, more than family; they are our best friends, our confidants, our children, our little furry pain in the butts that we adore more than we adore anything else.

Then they grow old. Your rambuntious puppy slows down into a sad Eeyore and he looks at you with sad eyes. Those eyes are still begging for love, but their now pure white face makes them look like a ghost. This is the hardest part, you think. Watching them lose their energy, go deaf, blind, limp around the house because they don't have the same spring in their step any longer. Yes, you think seeing them like this is the hardest part.

Then the day comes where they can't eat. They can barely stand up to follow you outside. They whimper sad cries in the middle of the night. Their sad look turns into a plea for relief. You're left with a decision. This creature that just spent the entirety of their life is now looking at you to help them. What can you do?

You take them to the vet and the vet confirms the pain that you try to deny every day. In your eyes, they're still your happy puppy, your playful kitten, your baby bird. In a professional's eyes, they're suffering.

It takes a big chunk out of your heart to know that doing the right thing, isn't always the easiest thing. It takes a toll on your heart losing a pet that became more of your family than some of the humans you're related to. Yes, it does something to you, but what it does is give your pet the solution they deserve.

Making the choice to euthanize when the option is offered is something that most pet owners don't understand until they're given it first hand. If a pet is in so much pain that they can no longer lead their happy lives, you need to accept this. You need to keep your selfish emotions away from the decision and do what's best for them.

The most you can do for that pet on its last days is give them everything you've been saying "no" to its whole life. Give your dog that burger. Let your cat outside on the porch. Let your bird fly around the house. Do those things.

Then say goodnight.