Why I Write

For anyone who writes, you will understand what I am about to say. For anyone who doesn't write, I hope that you will leave with open eyes and a new understanding also maybe some will leave with wanting to start writing.

I'll start with what writing can give you. Writing can give you so many things as long as you give it a chance. Even you aren't good with words, you can write. Writing gives you a way to express your feelings. It gives you a sense of freedom, a sense of purpose.

Those are all thing writing can give you. When you write a piece though, that piece will always give you a thrill, no matter what. I'd like to share one passages from a book, Bird By Bird by Anne Lamott, I'm reading in College Composition about writing. It states:

"I understood immediately the thrill of seeing oneself in print. It provides some sort of primal verification: you are in print; therefore you exist. Who knows what this urge is all about, to appear somewhere outside yourself, instead of feeling stuck inside your muddled but stroboscopic mind, peering out like a little undersea animal- a spiny blenny, for instance, from inside your tiny cave? Seeing yourself in print is such an amazing concept: you can get so much attention without having to actually show up somewhere" (Lamott, xiv).

This is section from the book describes it perfectly. I still remember my first piece from Odyssey that got published. It was about living. I was in the middle of Best Buy with my family when I saw that it had gotten published. I started jumping up and down with joy because it was already published and getting shares. This is also still true with my articles now. I always get excited with every new published article, and every share they get. It will never stop bringing me joy.

I won't lie, sometimes writing can be a struggle with either having a writers block, or the article not being shared enough. Although there are struggles, the best part about being a writer is knowing people share your work. I love what I do. I love being a writer, and that will never change.