On Love Triangles, Twilight And Hollywood's Beefiest Feud

Nothing tears me up like my two truest loves being at odds with each other.

13
Universal Pictures

I don't get love triangles. I mean, I understand what they are: an unfortunate trope in which three people are entangled in some messy, often confusing relationship where one person is inexplicably torn between two other people, even though usually only one (or neither) of them is a decent choice. Or I guess there's always the option that the two people fighting over one person are far superior to the person they're fighting over (see: any teen movie with two badass female rivals and one skeezy dude who tries to play them both), though that happens less often.

My point is, I never get it, like, logically. Of course, the reason that these things work a lot of the time (especially in movies/television) is because nothing ever has to operate logically when it comes to "matters of the heart." Nothing needs to be logical because love/emotions/sexual urges don't operate according to logic; it's all about feeling. Which I guess is why we give free passes to people in movies who are in a healthy, stable relationship they are happy about but then become interested in the tall, dark, mysterious (and vaguely vampiric) dude they made Prolonged Eye Contact with outside of their high school/night club/local convenience store. It's not at all logical (that dude is a complete stranger and likely has bloodlust-y tendencies), but we just go along with it. Because somehow whatever that eye contact was, it was significant. And now their life will never be complete if they don't immediately pursue it and subsequently neglect all other responsibilities.

Of course, all of this was how I felt before I found myself in a love triangle.

I've been trying to ignore it, I promise, but it's just so damn hard to avoid. Being messily entangled between two dudes who openly dislike each other is actually very stressful. I never thought I would relate to Bella Swan beyond the age of thirteen (and even then, was I actually genuinely relating to Bella Swan? Was anyone?), but I gotta give it to her, there is a lot of drama that arises when the two people after your affections actively hate each other and are powerful enough to physically assault one another.

At this point, you're probably wondering who exactly these two men splitting my heart apart are, so I'll tell you: Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Vin Diesel. My love for these two should come as no surprise to many of you, but what might be shocking is their tumultuous relationship. I mean, they're two of the buffest dudes in Hollywood, working on the most outrageous movie series ever of all time. How could they possibly not get along?

This feud officially began when Johnson posted this on his Instagram, calling out his male co-workers for being "candy asses," which was remarkable for two reasons: One, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is actual sunshine, so who could have managed to piss him off to the point of going public about it? Two, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson uses the term "candy asses" and it works for him, somehow.

From this point on, it slowly emerged that his real issue was with Vin Diesel, which rattled me to my very core. How could these two people who I love so deeply have so much tension between them? Didn't they know that this would tear me up inside? (No, obviously. Neither one of them have any clue who I am.)

Honestly, I probably should have seen it coming. As two of the beefiest dudes in Hollywood, some drama between them was bound to escape. You'll be happy to know, though, that as of right now they are on pretty decent terms. According to Entertainment Tonight, Johnson is still "Uncle Dwayne" in Diesel's house, which was enough to shatter me emotionally in ways I wasn't prepared for.

My hope is that these two continue to mend their relationship, to put the F&F family before anything else just like Dominic Toretto would want. This desire is purely selfish on my end, of course. I honestly don't know if I have the emotional capacity to handle my two greatest loves at odds on a regular basis for more than a few months; I have no clue how Bella did it for four books.