When You Love Running But Running Doesn't Love You Back

Running is one of the few sports that can sometimes break your heart.

18
Ian Walton/Getty Images
"When you're a dreamer, heart break and failure
can come with the territory, but I can tell you it's worth it, because it's a way of living that is both moving and memorable" -Lauren Fleshman

Running is a sport full of highs and lows. Some days feel as if you had just conquered Mount Olympus, meanwhile others may leave you feeling as if you're Atlas- carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders. As runners, we understand that not every day is going to be effortless; some days require a lot more determination and will power than others. But what happens when these days turn into months? Or into years?

These periods of your running career are incredibly frustrating and mentally exhausting. There is no worse feeling than finishing run after run, race after race, and workout after workout feeling disappointed in your performance. Its hard to stay positive. You may feel tempted to throw your trainers into your closet permanently, just to give up, and who could blame you? This sport can be filled with heartbreak. However, having the courage to continue to pursue your goals despite feeling as if the odds are against your favor can lead to a period of self discovery.

What do I mean by the term "self discovery"? I mean, you learn just how resilient you are and how much you are capable of accomplishing. Most people experience downfalls in their running careers, even the elites. So whether you are trying to break 30 minutes for your 5K or trying to qualify for the Boston Marathon, you can find comfort in knowing that others have experienced what you are experiencing and many have successfully made it through these periods.

"We all lose sometimes. We fail to get what we want. Friends and loved ones leave. We make decisions we regret. We try our hardest and come up short. It's not the losing that defines us. It's how we lose. It's what we do afterward." -Scott Jurek

The bravest thing a person can do is continue despite adversity. Running doesn't not love you, it's just trying to teach you a lesson. You may learn that running is not for you and that is okay. Or you may learn that you are capable of pushing through rough patches to achieve whatever it is you want to achieve. Whatever the outcome, I hope you learn something about yourself in which you can utilize for future endeavors.