I Love Myself, Is That a Problem?

I Love Myself, Is That a Problem?

Self-love is important and you shouldn't criticize those who embrace loving themselves.

17
I Love Myself, Is That a Problem?
Sierra Pospiech

What many people fail to realize is that there is a difference between being content with your life and being content with who you are. People may say they have a great life and that they are blessed because of it, but that doesn't necessarily mean that person is content with their own skin and mind.

People tell me all the time that I "love myself way too much" and that I'm so "self-absorbed" but, can they make that same assumption when they've never taken the chance to appreciate themselves?

All you ever hear nowadays is how people hate how they look or even where they came from. There are hardly any people that appreciate their characteristics and attributes that created their being. It's quite alarming that we are a society so adamant in promoting self-love when that same society has not taken the chance to love themselves.

This is not hypocritical; that's not what I'm trying to say.

What I am trying to say is that we need more people who can look at the positives of themselves and embrace the parts of themselves that makes them who they are.

So what if you have curly hair that you absolutely cannot tame? Being described as a lion is powerful and strong, and some girls would kill to have their hair look that curly even for just a day.

So what if you have thick thighs that sometimes stick together? You have the proper leg capacity to hold up your butt and make it look nice. You can also prevent your phone from falling in the toilet, so it's perfectly fine.

So what if you have an accent because of where you grew up? Embrace being able to properly pronounce places and things that are prevalent in your area; some people don't understand the pronunciation but, that's alright because you know that's because they simply grew up in a different area.

I never really was content with myself until college. It's odd but, the clichés are true: you don't really understand who you are until you're in an environment where everyone is different. In college, you begin to realize that being different and true to yourself and where you came from is important because you might not find anyone else who understands you. You will even find people who think certain words that you say are funny or people who tell you how much they really love your natural hair. Though this is extraordinarily flattering and you might not believe it at first, you will soon recognize that these great things are what make up who you are. You are beautiful and charismatic; embracing that is a wonderful thing.

With that being said, I am content with who I am and where I've come from. I'm not "conceited" or self-absorbed." I just simply love myself and I fully embrace the perfection that I see in myself, just as I fully embrace the people in my life who are beautiful and important to me.