A Love Letter To MIT

A Love Letter To MIT

Thoughts from before I got here...

66
A Love Letter To MIT
Madhurima Das

When we first met, I was six. I didn’t know how strongly I’d feel for you, but we took some pictures together, and that was the end of that. I remembered you again in high school, when everyone wanted to be with you. As my friends started talking about how attractive you are, I stalked your social media and realized that you are, in fact, pretty wonderful. After junior year, I thought I’d go out to Boston to visit you again and see if we really did have any chemistry together. When I arrived, I knew I liked what I saw.

Though it wasn’t love at first sight, the more I learned about you, and the more I realized how much we have in common, the more I loved. We both love science and math, and we both want to make a difference in the world — although you’ve already done that many times over. We both appreciate passion in others — it doesn’t matter what the passion is about, but the level of excitement I felt in you was a real selling point. I left that trip, sure that I really liked you, but unsure of how you felt about me — whether I was good enough for you. I know you’re really picky, and being good enough for you is something I worry about, even now after all your reassurances that you picked me for a reason.

As I applied for a relationship with you, I tried not to let myself fall in love too fast. I didn’t want to be heartbroken when you rejected me, and I didn’t want to get my hopes up only to be crushed. On December 14th, 2013 at 12:14 PM, you said you liked me back. I was elated, but then unsure if I was ready for such a commitment. I loved you, but I had other options too, safer choices, a relationship closer to home. I knew if I said yes to you that it would be an adventure, but I also knew that if I said no, I’d always wonder what could have been. I realized I needed to visit you again before I made up my mind, although my heart was sold.

During Campus Preview Weekend, I knew you were the one for me. You were so welcoming and reassuring, and I loved everything about you. You met my family, and though they were initially wary of the match, they realized you would treat me well and that if I ever needed anything, I would have all the support in the world from you. Finally, on my birthday, April 25th 2014, I committed to you. Being with you will be intellectually stimulating and I know I’ll learn something new every day. It’s never going to get boring, and if we do have to separate after four years, I will always remember my time with you fondly. MIT, I love you.