Thank You.

Thank You.

A love letter to creativity.

5
Thank You.
Imogen Hendricks

I have a whole lot of love in my heart and it’s because of you. My inspiration. The thing that keeps me moving forward.

I sit sideways in armchairs and feel you supporting the middle of my back. You seep through the ground, up through my feet when I stand barefoot in the grass. I feel you in the breeze, tickling the edges of my imagination with images that taste like cool spring water. You sit in a practice room with me and sometimes I see you in my reflection. In the morning, when I stretch, you nestle yourself in the space between my ribs. You steady my heartbeat. With you, my every action speaks of love toward myself.

Thank you
for hiding so perfectly in the contours
of my face, like
you’ll always be there.

You’re in my name. imogenimogenimogenimagine. Imagine the possibilities, you tell me, if you could just let go. I am scared and you are understanding and I know that it is going to be okay. I am not alone with a pen in my hand, the keys of my oboe under my fingers. The more I breathe into you, the more the monsters retreat. Like I am powerful.

Thank you
for giving me control
of my pulse, of the speed
of my thoughts.

I would say we’re friends, but I don’t want to be presumptuous. Sometimes we’re distant, but I understand that you need me to rest. But there are moments when I feel like the whole world has come together under one roof – my roof – and it’s with me, and it’s cheering me on. And sometimes you smile at me and I want to take a picture of this moment and look at it as I fall asleep. I’ve tried to explain how I feel to a few people – the ones who understand give me the smallest of knowing smiles.

Thank you
for helping me make connections
with others, helping me discover
the passion in my bones.

This article is part of a series on creativity and the creative process.