All About Love: The Language Of Love

All About Love: The Language Of Love

"The one who chooses to love will find appropriate ways to express that decision everyday." – Gary Chapman

160
All About Love: The Language Of Love

Have you heard about the five languages of love? They are called love languages and are basically a way that you express and interpret love. Knowing your love language could potentially help your relationship or future relationships, because we tend to give love the way we would prefer to receive it, so understanding your love language can help you understand yourself and your partner. Before you take the the love language quiz lets find out exactly what the five love languages are.

1. Words of affirmation.

This language uses words to affirm (express dedication) other people. Verbal compliments are powerful, and people with this love language hold very real value in words. With that being said, words also can hurt them to the core and the hurtful things you say to them wont be easily forgiven or forgotten. Example of words of affirmation would be sayings like "I Love You," "I enjoy spending time with you," "You're beautiful," "The thought of you makes me smile," and just simple words of encouragement/admiration.

2. Acts of service.

For people with this love language, actions speak louder than words. These people want their partner to help them out in any way possible, because it shows them that you care about the same things that they care about. They can't stand people who make more work for them. You can express your words of affirmation for them all day but they would rather you show it. Examples of acts of service would be: walking on the dangerous side of the road to protect your partner, cooking your partners favorite meal, cleaning the bedroom or the kitchen, and pulling out her chair or rubbing his back.

3. Receiving gifts.

People with this love language feel loved when they receive gifts. This makes your partner feel loved, because, in their minds, you had to be thinking of them to buy them a gift. This definitely doesn't mean your partner is materialistic; it just means being given something meaningful makes them feel appreciated. It is important to remember a gift isn't always something that is bought.

4. Quality time.

This is about giving your partner your undivided attention. For them, talk is cheap, they believe if you love them, you will make time just for them. They need your undivided attention, so sitting next to them on the couch, watching movies is not enough they want you to sit next to them on the couch with the TV off, staring into their eyes and talking/listening to them. They hate talking to people who talk just to respond, they want to talk to someone who actually listens. For them postponed/canceled dates and plans really hurt their feelings, so it is very important to be there for them.

5. Physical touch.

To a person with this love language, nothing speaks more deeply than appropriate touch. Physical touch doesn't always mean sex. Being touchy/feely makes these people feel loved, appreciated and safe. With that being said, even though these people love physical touch, any form of physical abuse is an immediate end to the relationship. Examples of ways you can touch your partner to ensure that they feel loved is cuddling them, rubbing their back/walking your fingers up and down certain parts of their body, light kisses and strong/long hugs and holding their arms/hands.