How The Theater Community Celebrated Their Year While Mourning A Tragedy

"Love is Love is Love is Love is Love is Love is Love is Love is Love."

7
Fusion.net

We just had the 70th annual Tony Awards ceremony on June 12, 2016. That morning, however, people weren't up for celebrating due to the horrific tragedy in Orlando, Florida. The Tonys, however, did as show business would and go on with the show. Every single person in attendance wore a ribbon in honor of the victims and dedicated the entire telecast to those in Orlando.

James Corden, the host of the telecast, started the evening with a lovely speech about the tragedy which included the support the entire theater community was sending to those in Orlando. He praised the equality there is in theatre on every level, race, gender, sexuality, ability or disability. That equality turned out in results of the awards ceremony along with the ratings of the show. More people tuned into that telecast than any other Tonys in recent years. I think the Tonys was exactly what the country and community needed that day.

Many acceptance speeches talked about the tragedy including Best Actor in a Play winner Frank Langella. Instead of thanking people he said the following, “When something bad happens we have three choices: we let it define us, we let it destroy us, or we let it strengthen us. Today in Orlando we had a hideous dose of reality, and I urge you Orlando to remain strong. We will be with you every step of the way.”

Out of respect, during the Hamilton performance, removed the use of their prop muskets for the song "Yorktown (The World Turned Upside Down) which stages the final battle in the American Revolution. The number was just as empowering with or without those props.

The speech that got to everyone regarding the tragedy was Hamilton creator and star, Lin-Manuel Miranda. When accepting for Best Original Score, he wrote a sonnet for his wife which segwayed effortlessly to the Orlando tragedy as he stated "Love is love is love is love is love is love." The full speech is below:

"My wife’s the reason anything gets done
She nudges me towards promise by degrees
She is a perfect symphony of one,
Our son is her most beautiful reprise
We chase the melodies that seem to find us
Until they’re finished songs and start to play
When senseless acts of tragedy remind us
That nothing here is promised, not one day

This show is proof that history remembers
We live through times when hate and fear seem stronger
We rise and fall and light from dying embers
Remembrances that hope and love lasts long
And love is love is love is love is love is love is love is love is love
Cannot be killed or swept aside,

I sing Vanessa’s symphony, Eliza tells her story
Now fill the world with music love and pride"

This award ceremony was like nothing I've ever seen before. Definitely the best way to celebrate this season of theatre along with mourning the horrific events in the same day.