Love Is A Choice

Love Is A Choice

Love is a choice, not just a feeling.

53
Love Is A Choice
Peyton Lemerand

I have always heard the saying, “love is a choice” but I never could understand what it meant. You can’t just love anyone. I always put my focus and feelings on falling in love and being in love. We tend to just be wrapped up in the motion of being in love and keeping it as simple as that. Being in a relationship is new and exciting, but what happens after the shine wears off? We get so used to each other and there is no more mystery. The hardest part of being in love is staying in love.

“Love is a choice, not a feeling. It is an initiated, not a knee-jerk reaction. Choose today to be committed to love even if your spouse has lost most of their interest in receiving it. Say to them today in words similar to these, “I love you. Period. I choose to love you even if you don’t love me in return.” - Psalm 119:30

We hear 'love is a choice' in a lot of places-- church, from family, quotes. We may not choose to fall in love with someone, but we choose to keep loving them. We choose to commit to them everyday. I devote my time and my best version of myself to my significant other. I choose to forgive the mistakes and believe in the best version of the person I love. I go out of my way and work harder. I work everyday to build a better relationship. If we don’t make this choice daily to love someone, the love will fade.

Falling in love is the easy part. We see all the good things in the other person and get so wrapped up in one another. It is new. When things get old, it gets harder. We get irritated easily and take each other for granted. We don’t tell each other how much we love each other or all the little things we did at first. So everyday, make the choice to love, not just to be with someone. Show them how much you care, don’t stop doing the little things just because it has gotten old, it will never get old. When you buy a car, that doesn't mean you don't have to change the oil or get new tires. You have to keep up with maintenance to keep your car running at its best. Same goes for a relationship.

Tell them you love them everyday. Don't forget to tell your wife how pretty she looks even though you tell her all the time. Open the car door or tell them how much they mean to you. Whatever it is, don't get lazy. Sometimes we forget to make the most important people in our lives feel special. It is never too late to start trying or to never stop.