Love In Our Modern Society

Love In Our Modern Society

Love isn't perfect; it's meant to be an adventure.

4945
Wordpress

Love in our modern society is not really love at all. Because modern heartbreak is "read at 2:04 a.m." when it's already 3. It is blocking and unblocking and blocking again. Modern heartbreak is sick with being watched by others. It's breakups being played out and exposed on twitter feeds. It's screenshots of texts that were only meant for one person to see and that shouldn't have been saved. It's seeing your ex-lover with their new one, watching their lives play out together in the ways that yours didn't. It's seeing snapchat stories that rip your heart out of your chest, and your story expiring before they see it because clearly, they don't care about you anymore. It's finally having the courage to delete their contact from your phone when really it doesn't matter because you know you'll find it again the next time you want to call. Modern heartbreak is messy; messy because everyone sees it, messy because it's public.

You see, when I was little I always thought that love was red roses, expensive dates on Saturday nights, black boxes containing expensive gifts, and always having the right words to say. I thought love was kissing in the rain, deep explanations, and the perfect ending.
My experiences have taught me the exact opposite.
True love for me, what I think love should be in our modern society, is ugly snapchats and peeing while you're talking on the phone. True love is singing at the top of your lungs and dancing in the middle of the room, it's kissing at 6 am despite the morning breath. It's saying all the wrong things at the worst moments -- because love is honest, even when it hurts. True love is being up at late hours of the night after a rough day; it's no makeup and bad hair. It's full of tears; tears from laughter, sadness, and pure bliss. It's nothing like any storybook you've ever read. It's never running out of conversations to have but it's also being comfortable in the complete silence. True love is getting mad over stupid things. It's laughing and saying "you're an idiot" but knowing you're so lucky to hear and say those things every day. True love is spilling your feelings out at 4 am when you should be sleeping.
Honestly, true love is the worst story you could ever imagine, but thank God it works out anyways because true love is never losing the magic, and never leaving when things get hard.

Love takes two people. You make a choice to love someone, you make a choice to forgive, you make a choice to make it work every single day, even when you're so mad you can't even stand to look them in the eye, you make a choice to sacrifice. That is not fate, it is not a happy ending.
When I was sixteen I took a class called Relationships for Life, and I learned that most people fall out of love for the same reasons that they fell into it. Their lover's endearing stubbornness has now become a refusal to compromise, and their one track mind is now immaturity, and their bad habits that you once adored are now only money down the drain, complete recklessness, and irresponsibility.
True love takes two people, willing to make that choice every day, even when things get hard.