Love, Your Graduating EIC

Love, Your Graduating EIC

Reach for the stars, you're all talented and capable of so much.

10
Love, Your Graduating EIC
BERNIE_PHOTO

To my newspaper staff/family,

It’s hard to believe that it’s almost time for me to say goodbye and pass on the torch to someone else. It’s crazy to think that I’m done and I won’t come back next year and see you all, spend many hours with you and constantly have one of you in my recent message folder about something with print. Can I say I’m ready for graduation? Absolutely. I’m ready to move on and start my post school life.

Being the editor for these past two years has taught me so much. You’ve all helped me grow and develop into the woman I am today. Was it easy? No way. There were long, stressful nights. There were a few times I wanted to quit. That I felt like it was just way too much. But I stuck it out and I’m glad I did.

When I took over as the Editor-in-Chief, I wasn’t sure what to expect. I was being handed a position I didn’t think I was ready for. I didn’t know how to run a paper, let alone a successful one. But together we worked hard to overcome all obstacles and make the paper the best it could be. We rebranded a part of history and for that you should all be proud.

I know that I’m proud of all the work you’ve put in day in and day out. You’re all the most hardworking individuals that I’ve ever met and it really shows in every edition we put out. You all have a passion for certain things and within those passions, it really shines. For some of you that might be layout, others it might be writing and for others it might be the editing aspect. But you’re all great at all you do.

While I’m not quite ready to move on, I know that I’m leaving the paper in the hands of fantastic individuals and I’m excited to see where your leadership takes it. Before I part, I want to teach you what I’ve learned to be the most valuable lesson over my time.

While it’s going to get stressful, it’s going to be just as rewarding. Don’t let the stress hold you down because there’s a ton of people around you willing to help. Don’t be afraid to ask someone to give a helping hand. Take the time to make connections with everyone you meet, you never know what they’ll have to offer. But most importantly, always stay true to yourself.

It might seem at times like you’re not a good leader. Like maybe you shouldn’t be in the role, but I guarantee that you’re the perfect one for the job. While it’s important to set examples, be strict with certain things and really place emphasis on others, there’s nothing more important than the friendships that are going to be created within that room. The family that’s created within the confinement of a newsroom.

I might be graduating but that doesn’t mean I won’t be there to help whenever you ask. But I know that you’re prepared for anything that comes your way. You’re all talented, strong and great at what you do. So don’t be afraid of what’s to come, especially those who are taking on roles that they might not have expected when you first started this journey.

I know I might not have said it enough, or really at all, but I’m so grateful that every one of you were on this journey with me. I’m so glad that I had such a talented staff because there wasn’t much we couldn’t do. We turned this paper around and I’ve never been more proud to hand it out on campus. So give yourself a pat on the back for the hardwork we’ve done, but remember it’s not done yet. Continue to keep this paper alive when I’m gone. Keep producing solid content, great layout and working together as a team. It’s not just one person who makes this possible. Be there for each other and remember, the stress is not as bad as it seems.

I’m so proud of every one of you and know that you’ll continue to do great things. I’ll be waiting for the day that I come back on campus and see how you’ve made the paper grow. I’ll be one of your biggest supporters, always cheering you on. So it’s your time to shine. I’m handing the torch to you, a fantastic group of ladies. Although it’s a bittersweet moment, there’s nobody I’d rather leave in this place than you.

Keep doing what you’re doing. Let your talent shine. And remember, there’s no people for that.

Signing off,

Your graduating EIC.