I Love College, But I Love Coming Home, Too

Hey dad, what's for dinner?

19
Maddie Woodruff

Think back to when you were in high school. You would go to school every day then come home and say, "I can't wait until I'm in college.

No one will tell me what to do and it'll be great." And I know some of you reading this article haven't graduated yet, so this above phrase is something you've been constantly saying lately since college is so close. I know what you're talking about because four years ago that was me. I was getting ready to graduate and couldn't wait to be on my own for the first time. I couldn't wait to stay up as late as I wanted, to eat as much junk food as my heart desired, and even go to parties without my parents finding out and getting upset. Now here I am, four years later preparing to give you all some insight.

First of all, college is great.

This article isn't at all meant to tell you that college is terrible and I wish I would've stayed home because I don't think that for a second. I just finished my fourth year of college (no, I haven't graduated yet I know), and I can honestly say that these past four years have been the hardest, but most incredible years of my life. College is where I met my best friend, my boyfriend, fell in love with a major that I never believed I could do, I found the Odyssey, and I found myself. I have been pushed far past my limits, have fallen down more times than I'd like to admit, but I wouldn't change any of it because of what I have been able to learn along the way. But even though I do love college, I also do love being able to come home to the place where I grew up.

I love...

Home cooked meals

I know that many of us in our college careers will at some point have an apartment or at least a living situation where there will be a stove so we have the capability of cooking "real meals". But I'm talking about real home cooked meals that automatically tastes better because your mom or dad make it. (I personally get to have one tonight and I can't even express how excited I am.)

Not having to bring a bag of quarters to do laundry

You may still be forced to do laundry, but at least you're not spending all of your quarters in the process.

Visiting your favorite places

We all have places from our hometowns that hold a special place in our hearts. Coming home gives us a chance to visit and even show our college friends these cool places.

Running into people you knew growing up

Whether you graduated together, or they were friends of your parents, running into people you know back home can also be an interesting experience. Sometimes these will be really exciting reunions, whereas other's will be full of "when are you graduating?" "have you met anyone special?" "when are you getting married?" "what are you doing after you graduate?"

Listen, Linda, I'm just here to grab and enjoy coffee with my mom.

Family

Yes, I know I saved this one for last and I did that on purpose. I'm personally extremely close with my family, so I love having an "excuse" to come home for the weekend. Even if I'm still stuck doing homework or studying all weekend, sometimes it still just feels good to be around my parents or siblings.

Yes, mom, I did miss you.

Whether or not you're going home for the summer, or you're preparing to go away to college for the first time, we all miss home sometimes. College has given me a home away from home that I have fallen in love with, but nothing beats coming home to where I grew up with my loved ones.