I Love Being "That Friend"

I Love Being "That Friend"

What it is like to be the counsellor of your friend group.

11
I Love Being "That Friend"

In every group of friends there are a few "roles" that certain people fit. For example, the "mom friend", is the friend that always makes sure everyone has eaten, as well as makes sure that everyone is wearing their seat belt and that they get home safe. This friend is typically the friend who says things like, "Drive safe, and text me when you get home so I know you made it." Well I have been this friend before, but the role I best fit, and quite possibly one of the most taxing roles in a friend group, is the counsellor.

The counsellor is one of the hardest roles to fill for a few reasons, some of those reasons include:

- Sometimes you want to talk about something other than the person your friend likes, but you know they need to talk about it, so you just go with it.
- You have to keep a lot of secrets. From what your friends are going through at home, to the person they like, to the internal struggles they face everyday. You keep a lot of secrets.
- It's mentally exhausting. You are constantly analyzing, trying to determine the best way to help, or what questions to ask to understand the situation better, or by trying to give advice.
- When you are the counsellor, you don't often receive counsel. Sometimes you need advice too. You may need someone to tell your secrets too, or to ask for guidance on that special someone.

As the counsellor friend it is very easy for your emotions to be pushed aside and forgotten about by others, but you have feelings too, right?

Well as the counsellor friend it is easy to get pushed aside, but it is also thrilling to help your friends to work through their problems. When your best friend is having a crisis and you are able to help them work through it, you get this feeling of extreme happiness and energy. It makes all the work worth while.

Be sure to thank your personal counsellor. Remember, they don't get paid. Well, I suppose they do get some reward.

They are rewarded by your happiness.