love, lust, time, hope, feelings

Love or Lust at First Sight?

Is our first encounter and feelings a sense of love?

202
Love or Lust at First Sight?

The idea of love at first sight is a beautiful idea. The concept of just laying eyes on a person elicits an overwhelming feeling of joy, happiness, and satisfaction. The notion of just knowing that you have found the one, based off of your initial encounter. The belief that there is no other explanation for connecting with someone so quickly. All of this is perfect, but as we all know deep down, nothing is perfect. How can we be sure that what we may be feeling is attributed to love and no other variable? What if lust is the true feeling?

Lust encompasses more of a physical or sexual attraction to someone, while love often requires more than that. On the ground, lust is absent of intrinsic characteristics such as personality, intelligence, and values, while love prioritizes those characteristics.

What is the first trigger that demonstrates our interest in someone new when we get this overwhelming feeling?

It could possibly be how they smile, how they talk, or how they look. All of these things are surface level characteristics that may not even be related to the true nature of these individuals.

Do how they smile tell us what they do for a living? Do how they talk reflect their goals and ambitions? Do how they look informs us of their intelligence?

The short answer is no. Lust at first sight skates around communication and real interpersonal bonding.

With lust at first sight, words are often not necessary. But it may be difficult to say you fell in love at first sight without a substantial conversational exchange.

Words matter.

Some people may even argue that lust, too, does not occur at first sight. And it is difficult to know whether that is true or not. But it seems people often focus on the physicality of people first, and then attribute the qualities they like to that person immediately afterward.

In other words, these people we are so into, become new people with attributes we have given them without technically knowing if they are true.

This behavior is called the Halo Effect, and we often do it involuntarily.

It is possible that this overwhelming feeling that we are feeling is rooted in hope. What if we want the possible lust that we are experiencing at first sight, to be love?

It goes without saying that everyone wants love.

Because this overwhelming feeling may provide us a temporary state of joy, happiness, and satisfaction, we want to believe it is grand and lasting.

Maybe it is just fleeting.

Maybe the lust at first sight, or the hope of love at first sight, is apparent only for a short brief moment.

It is possible for it to grow into something else, but that is not guaranteed, and often not always the case.

It is okay to revel in this overwhelming feeling for a period, but we have to remember that love is filled with many variables and complexities.

We have to take the step of "first sight" to another level.

Just do not forget that It is easy to get swept in the moment and feel that something may be more than what it actually is.