For The Lost Lives That The World Ignored

The world wrote you off as just another casualty...caused by the unending violence of a faceless war. But I will not be oblivious.

6
Chinomso Ezeh

This is for the countless lives lost every day to killings in all the snubbed corners of the world, the ones who get written off as unworthy recipients of worldwide acknowledgement.

I remember you.

I mourn you.

I refuse to relegate you to the backseat of my fight for peace, justice and freedom.

If the world chooses to ignore your value, I choose to celebrate your lives.

You are not any less important than those whose deaths were deemed fit for worldwide headlines.

You are just as important as those whose deaths the world chose to stop and grieve for.

You are not just another life lost in a remote part of the world.

You are not just another life lost in the all-to-often violence that ravages these parts of the world.

You are an exceptionally valuable life taken from us far too soon.

The world wrote you off as just another casualty in a series of multiple deaths caused by the unending violence of a faceless war.

But I will not be oblivious to the rotten stench of death that has persisted in more places than the world cares to acknowledge; every life like yours lost to violence.

Your deaths are continuously ignored by the greater part of the world, because “these killings in these places happen too often to be a big deal.”

But the truth remains that nothing justifies us writing off the loss of countless lives in these neglected parts of the world simply because we think that violence in these places has persisted for so long to the extent that the deaths have become “normal.”

I fear that we are destined for doom if we really believe that such violent losses of lives ceases to matter when the losses are not a rare thing; when violence and death become synonymous with these places.

I fear that there is no hope for humanity if we choose to ignore some violent deaths because majority of the world is not affected by them.

I refuse to accept that some deaths are extremely worthy of acknowledgement and others are less worthy.

I have no respect for whoever decides that lives like yours, lost in these forgotten places, do not need to be broadcast worldwide.

I may not be able to force the world to pay attention to brutal deaths like yours, but I can choose to remember you.

I can choose to remember that there are numerous people who, like you, have been lost to the violence of places the world has chosen to hide from us.

And I choose to stay aware of the fact that more lives that I can ever be aware of, are lost on a daily basis to needless violence.

I choose to pay my respects to every unfortunate violent death, known and unknown.

Preference of which deaths to grieve over, in this context, will only serve to justify the violence that has taken you away from us; treating some violent acts as unacceptable and others as acceptable.

All violence to me, is needless but certain in this flawed world of ours.

Nevertheless, know that you stay remembered in my heart at all times.

Your life was meaningful to someone.

Your death, painful, tragic, remembered, regretted.

You should not have had to lose your life in the way that you did.

You deserved better. You still do.

I remember you.

I grieve your loss.

The world wrote you off as just another casualty...caused by the unending violence of a faceless war. But I will not be oblivious to the rotten stench of death that has persisted in more places than the world cares to acknowledge; every life like yours lost to violence.