5 Things Not To Say To Someone Who Lost Their Job Due To COVID-19

Would you want someone to say these things to you?

23
https://unsplash.com/photos/6dW3xyQvcYE
Marten Bjork

We're all pretty aware of what's going on in the world right now.

COVID-19 has truly wreaked havoc on everyone's lives. Some lost their jobs, others lost loved ones, and some even lost their own lives.

Unfortunately, I was laid off from my job due to the outbreak. Even though this is something millions of people are going through, it still feels horrible on an individual level.

A lay-off is a lay-off, and it sucks no matter what.

In situations like these, we need all the emotional support we can get. We need each other now more than ever.

In response to my unfortunate situation, I've received some less-than-helpful responses, which I'd like to address in this listicle.

Here are some things you should never say to someone who lost their job due to COVID-19.

1. "Well this happened to millions of people; you're not the only one"

media.giphy.com

Yes, I'm aware this happened to millions of people. However, no matter how common your situation is, it doesn't change how it affects you as an individual. You're allowed to be angry, hurt, disappointed, confused and unsure of your next move. Don't let anyone downplay your struggle no matter how "common" it is.

2. "There will be other opportunities"

media.giphy.com

Yeah, I heard Uber needs drivers! I can't tell you how much I dreamed of becoming an Uber driver while I was working towards my Bachelor's degree. No one is hiring at the moment. If you want to use my resume to apply to jobs that don't exist, go right ahead.

3. "Things will get better eventually"

media.giphy.com

This is the last thing anyone wants to hear when they just went through something hard. Yes, things will get better eventually, but that's a long time from now. How I feel about the situation right now is just as important as how I'll feel about it five years from now. Right now it sucks and I'm scared, and that's valid.

4. "Everything happens for a reason"

media.giphy.com

Yes, please explain to me why I went from having everything I could ever want to having literally nothing in just one week. While you're at it, go ahead and explain to a mourning family why they lost their baby to this horrible illness. Let me know how that goes.

5. "You can use this time for self-reflection"

media.giphy.com

Trust me, I already know enough about myself. I know I don't do well with idle time. I know I need to be busy 24/7. I know I feel useless unless I'm working. I know myself; I don't need to self-reflect.

If you know someone who lost their job due to the pandemic, listen to them. Acknowledge their struggles. Validate their emotions.

If you're not there for them when they're struggling, don't expect them to share their success with you when this is all over.