3 Theories About The Lost City Of Atlantis That Will Bring Out Your Inner Detective

Once ruled by Poseidon, the Lost City of Atlantis remains a myth.

1653
Adam Sherez on Stocksnap

Buzzfeed Unsolved has got me addicted to unsolved murders, mysteries, haunted places, etc. One of my friends recommended me to pick up the series. And when I did, I could not stop watching it and finished all the seasons within four days about.

And now currently, I will spend some of free time reading up on more unsolved cases because I find them intriguing and have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of what could have possibly happened to these places.

One of the most famous I'm going to discuss is The Lost City of Atlantis. More than likely a mythical island from Plato's dialogues "Timaeus" and "Critias" according to History's website, the city of Atlantis has been a fascination among philosophers and historians for over 2,400 years. It has been described as a "powerful" and "advanced" that ended up sinking into the ocean in a night and day around 9,600 B.C.

The island is said to once be located in the Atlantic Ocean beyond the Pillars of Hercule or Strait of Gibraltar. Many people say Santorini is Atlantis while others believe the waters of Bimini hide a road to the lost city.

It was protected by the Greek god Poseidon. But, legend says as the city and people grew more powerful their ethics declined. Supposedly their army conquered Africa as far as Egypt and Europe before driven back by an Athenian-led alliance and as their punishment, they island was destroyed by earthquakes and floods and sank into the sea.

Let's look into some of the theories surrounding the Lost City of Atlantis.

*Theories discussed below can be found on History's website.

Atlantis was swallowed by the Bermuda Triangle.

In the 1970s, writer Charles Berlitz claimed the city of Atlantis was indeed once a continent but was located off the Bahamas. The city had fallen victim to the famous Bermuda Triangle where a number of ships have supposedly disappeared in mysterious circumstances.

But scientists have denounced this theory reasoning that the man-made walls and streets found off the coast of Bimini are natural rock formations.

Atlantis was once Antarctica.

Theorists argue that Atlantis was once a more temperate version of Antarctica based off of the work of Charles Hapgood's 1958 book "Earth's Shifting Crust". Hapgood explains that when the Earth's crust shifted it displace the continent, Atlantis further north than Antarctica.

But when a sudden shift of frigid weather doomed the city and it's people and buried under the layers of ice which now Antarctica.

Atlantis is the Minoan civilization which flourished in the Greek Islands around 2500-1600 B.C.

Theorists believe that the Greek islands of Crete and There, which is now Santorini, was the Minoans who were named for King Minos. The group, believed to be Europe's first great civilization, built palaces, constructed paved roads and were the first to use a written language.

But, at the height of their power, the civilization disappeared from a massive earthquake triggering the volcanic island of Thera to erupt and wipe out the cities throughout the region.

Whether the city was once real or fictional, we can all agree this will continue to have people talking. And as Ryan Bergera says, "This case remains unsolved."