The Lost Interest In Reading

The Lost Interest In Reading

The reason why reading isn't a thing anymore

2666
The Lost Interest In Reading
Kaylee Walker

The reading of literature, both fiction and nonfiction, has been going on for more than hundreds of years. Not all reading is done for scientific purposes, sometimes it’s done for pure entertainment. Some people claim to not enjoy reading. There are several reasons why people may not enjoy reading. Some of those reasons are: they haven’t found the right book or the influence of school has ruined their thoughts of reading.

I believe the reasoning for my increase in reading was because I could actually read books that I enjoye. When I was in my childhood years, I wasn’t the kid that read all the time. I liked reading, just didn’t read on my own as often as some young children do. Once I reached my teenage years, I started reading ten times more. I would stay up all night just to finish the last 50-100 pages of an interesting book because it was so interesting that I couldn't stop reading. I believe the reasoning for my increase in reading was because I could actually read books that I enjoyed. The problem with most young people is that they haven’t found the right book for them. Every person is different, which means that every person is interested in different things. There are many different genres of writing and some of those are: fiction, nonfiction, adventure, science fiction, thriller, tragedy, comedy, drama, romance, horror, and etc. While one person might be reading adventure-type books, another person might be interested in reading books about sports. That’s why people need to at least try reading different types of books to find out what book is right for them. Then, maybe, they will experience the joy that is brought about by reading a well-written book. As entertaining as reading interesting novels can be, school influences teens views on the reading. While school education is important, there are many problems with how it’s directed.

School can be either a hell or a paradise, depending on a student's state of mind. English is a class where kids read books that have educational value, which is determined by the school district. When I was in high school, I read

Romeo and Juliet, which I thought was one of the worst novels I have ever read. While most people don’t like it because of the stupidity of the characters, I also don’t like it for its writing style. Why do I feel that way? I feel that way because the novel is not my cup of tea. That’s perfectly okay and I have nothing against my teacher for having us reading it. The problem is that teachers do not let students read books that interest them. While teachers should focus on educating, they should also want to hold students' attention. No kid is going to pay attention to something he or she isn’t interested in. There are many books that, while interesting, can provide educational perspectives. One book that I believe is appropriate for a high school audience is To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.I believe the book's main focus is to inform people about the atmosphere of the 1930s and how strong hate can be among people. If school thought more about the student, maybe kids would be more involved in the classroom.Reading is not something that people can live without. It provides both knowledge and entertainment for humans. Some teenagers, and even adults, live off of reading because it takes them to a reality that is not their own. Non-readers first need to find their right type of book so they can enjoy reading for what it really is. Schooling is one of the factors that keep people from enjoying the nature of reading. Instead of passing up the next book, maybe read it and don’t judge the book by its cover.