How Lorde is Totally Killing 2017

How Lorde is Totally Killing 2017

Lorde, you're doing amazing sweetie.

21
How Lorde is Totally Killing 2017
FASHION magazine

In 2013, Lorde released her debut single, '"Royals," followed by Pure Heroine, an album that would forever change the way we think of pop music. Fast forward four years later to 2017, we have the return of this dynamic pop star. Being a huge Lorde fan myself, the anticipation of when and how she would return was killing me. I follow her on all her social media platforms, saw her live at Music Midtown in Atlanta back in 2014, and listen to Pure Heroine as is if it came out yesterday. But now, like the rest of her millions of fans, I wanted more. Early 2017, Lorde, whose real name is Ella Yelich-O'Connor, released her first single off her new record, "Green Light," and it was something totally new, totally different, and something 2017 totally needed.

1. Her Big Comeback

Being her first single after four years, "Green Light," sparked headlines everywhere. In an interview, she explained how "Green Light" was something totally different than what she was used to doing, and about her "first major heartbreak." Leave it up to Lorde to turn a tragic heartbreak ballad into a song we'll be singing at the top of our lungs for years to come. She posted to Twitter saying that she was "so proud of this song. it's different, and kind of unexpected. it's complex and funny and sad and joyous and it'll make you DANCE." "Green Light" only made us want more for the pop star, and more is what we got when she released her sophomore album, Melodrama.

2. The Release of Melodrama

With being one of the most highly anticipated albums of this summer, Melodrama was anything but a breakup album. Although I love a good breakup album - shout out to T. Swift, you just get me - Melodrama showed the progression of the later stages of our lives after adolescence. The part of heartbreak, learning who we are and what we want, and more. Personally, I'm more drawn to her upbeat, make you dance around like no one is watching songs like "Perfect Places," "Homemade Dynamite," and "Supercut." Her slower songs, however, are just as moving, haunting, and hit you like no other song has before. In an interview with The New York Times, she says, "It's a record about being alone. The good parts and the bad parts." And that is just what we get from Melodrama - the good parts and the bad parts of Lorde's story she has shared with us.

3. Her Style On and Off Stage is Always On Point

Definitely one for taking risks, Lorde pulls off whatever she wears. Back in 2014, Vanity Fair coined her the "Queen of Darkness" because of the amount of black clothing she would wear to shows and red carpet events. In an interview with Teen Vogue, she said, "I like simple clothes. But sometimes I'll go for the goth-witch vibe." Still staying true to the simplicity that all black offers, I'd like to think we see Lorde venturing out of that dark phase with some accents of color in her wardrobe. Along with this style evolution, she said goodbye to her long, black mane and decided to go for a shoulder length lob. Although she stays true to her dark roots, we love the pop star's hint of color in her fun, new look.

4. She's Had an Impressive List of Line-Ups this Summer

Of course, with a highly anticipated and successful sophomore album, concerts and festivals were in the works. Soon after the release of Melodrama, Lorde announced on Twitter the Melodrama World Tour, sending fans in a frenzy everywhere. When the Coachella lineup was released, she posted, "um so... i think it's time we danced," on Twitter and we couldn't have been more ready to dance right along beside her. Along with Coachella, she's headlined other festivals this summer such as Bonnaroo in Tennessee, Fuji Rock Festival in Japan, and Governors Ball in New York.

5. She's Never Looked Happier

Living in today's world where people are criticizing and scrutinizing others left and right, Lorde manages to still rise above it all and have her revenge by having one of (if not) the best album of 2017. We can just see her radiate happiness everywhere she goes, being able to share her story with fans all over the world. All we have to say is, Lorde, you're doing amazing sweetie.