8 Of My Favorite Parts Of The "Lord of The Rings" Films

Most are included in the books, but some of them aren't.

268
softpedia

Everyone has a favorite film and/or film series. For me, that is, hands down, "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy directed by Peter Jackson. If you haven't seen them, you should. Seriously, go find a copy of the extended editions (the theatrical cuts leave out some critical information, especially in "The Two Towers"), and watch.

1. Every scene involving Merry and Pippin doing something stupid.

Honestly, book Merry and Pippin's characters are much less fleshed out. The films giving you a vision of two troublemaking college-aged boys (yes, I know they're actually older, but they don't act like it, and the official "coming-of-age" time is 33) who have a knack for mischief. First, they set off fireworks and terrorize the hobbits attending Bilbo and Frodo's birthday party, then they get Sam and Frodo involved with Farmer Maggot (the pair have a habit of stealing various vegetables from the poor man). Their antics continue as they reveal Frodo's identity at the Prancing Pony, and wake the Balrog in the Mines of Moria. Then Pippin uses the Palantir (almost ruining the whole Sauron-doesn't-know-we're-trying-to-destroy-the-ring advantage) and swears fealty to a madman, while Merry risks his life on the field of battle when everyone tells him to stay behind. He ends up facing off against the third-most terrifying (in my opinion) character in the entire trilogy, the Witch King of Angmar. And, of course, don't forget when they both decide to charge into Mordor against a massive army of Orcs and Southrons. The pair brings some much-needed comic relief to an otherwise rather dark trilogy.

2. The relationship between Gimli and Legolas.

It's not quite so obvious in the films, but there's actually a pretty deep divide which runs between elves and dwarves. There is some sort of mysterious, ancient grudge between the two races. Basically, both races hate each other with a "fiery hot burning passion." Gimli and Legolas actually defy the odds and become very close friends. They have a contest to see who can kill the most in every battle, they constantly rib at each other, and they actually come to enjoy each other's company (even though they hate each other when they first meet). Their friendship is certainly helped along by Gandalf, who literally tells them to stop fighting and be friends instead. Gimli even accompanies Legolas when he leaves for the Grey Havens–a one-way trip.

3. The poem which describes Aragorn.

In the books, this poem is written in a letter by Gandalf to convince the hobbits that they can trust Aragorn. In the films, the second half is used to describe Aragorn's status as heir to the throne of Gondor–a title he never wanted, but embraces nonetheless–and emphasize the whole scene where Elrond reforges Narsil and gives it to Aragorn. The sword is a symbol of Aragorn's lineage and of his restoration to his rightful place in Gondor.

All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost;

The old that is strong does not wither,

Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes, a fire shall be woken,

A light from the shadows shall spring;

Renewed shall be blade that was broken,

The crownless again shall be king.

4. Aragorn and Arwen's relationship.

This is included in the Appendix at the back of "Return of the King," and I am so happy that it is incorporated throughout the three films. This plotline helps give both characters more depth, and I've always admired Arwen because of her strength. To be honest, the storyline was botched slightly, but I feel that every great man needs a great woman he can count on. Call me a hopeless romantic.

5. The prophecy that the Witch King of Angmar cannot be killed by a man.

The actual prophecy is not included in the films, but the fulfillment of it is. Eowyn is definitely not a man (and neither is Merry, who helps her), but she certainly kills the second most feared member of the enemy forces. Not even Gandalf could do that, even though he does face the Witch King in the films (his failure is actually more than a little backward, because he's not a man either; he's not even human). Girl power for the win!

6. Gollum! Gollum!

Please tell me you read that in Andy Serkis' voice. In my opinion, his portrayal of Gollum is spot-on. His performance creates just the right balance between disgust, fear, and pity for the character that started out so similar to Frodo, but who had a different life path which actually turned out to be part of a larger plan in the end.

7. When Legolas takes down an Oliphant all by himself.

Nothing is more awesome. Seriously. And the look on his face (both right before he charges the creature and right after he slides down its trunk once it collapses, dead) is priceless.

8. All of the interesting stuff that happened during filming.

Listen to the cast commentary some time. You will not be disappointed. You'll hear about Tig, Sean Bean's refusal to ride a helicopter up to the top of a mountain (instead, hiking hours every day of filming that location) and more. Also, did you know that Viggo Mortensen actually broke two toes while filming, but continued running across the countryside until filming was over? Talk about commitment.

So now, go home, pull out LOTR (the extended edition!), sit on your couch and watch for the next 11.36666667 hours (yes, I did the math), and enjoy.