Looking Back: A Freshman Year Reflection

As the first chapter of my college career comes to a close, there's some things I would like to reflect on.

133
Megan Paullet

One month ago, I walked through the door of my very first college dorm room for the last time. I walked out of the front doors of Saint Benedict hall, and said goodbye to my humble abode from the previous two semesters. I had finished my freshman year of college, which had gone by in the blink of an eye. Now that everything from this year is over and done with, I'd like to take a moment to reflect on this past year.

First of all, I'd like to reflect on the academic part of my freshman year. Coming in as a science major, I knew that classes were not going to be a walk in the part. I knew I would be challenged and that I had to push myself in order to succeed. There would be days when I didn't want to study, but I knew I had to. I also learned that the way I study for one class, doesn't always work for another. I was able to finish the first semester with a 3.6 GPA and the second with a 3.2. I learned that radishes don't grow if you give them Propel, but will if given Lifewater. Also, I learned that finches have adapted their beak size in certian regions in order to eat. (See this is why I'm a science major!) Freshman year allowed me to rekindle my love for the sciences, even though they were difficult at times.

Moving on, there were so many experiences that I had and people that I met that I will never forget. Getting to go to New York City with my roommate and a group of my friends was a unforgettable experience. I got to walk down Broadway, see the theatres for all my favorite shows, and fangirl at the Richard Rodgers theatre (FYI it's where Hamilton shows!!!). I indulged in delicous treats from Carlos' Bakery. During my freshman year, I did three seperate theatre shows. The people that I met in the theatre have become like family to me and I was honored to take the stage with so many talented people. Also, I quickly made friends in Campus Ministry that I'll cherish forever. These people helped me grow in faith and love of the Lord. This past year, I went on my very first over night retreat, called Ignite with these people and got to know them even better. This retreat was amazing and so calming for me. In addition, I was able to help run retreaets on campus for high school and middle school students. I feel so loved by all the people I became friends with in the first year of college, and I can't wait to spend the next three years with them.

I would dare to say that my freshman year at Saint Vincent changed me for good. (Slight Wicked reference) It changed me into someone who wasn't afraid to share her faith with others. I changed into a person that wasn't going to give up easily, or let something keep me down. When you knock me down, I get back up again. (Hamilton reference) This year changed into someone who will stick up for what she believes in and can hold her own. My freshman year helped me realize that SVC was the place for me. It quickly began to feel like a second home for me that I deeply miss while I'm on break. Everytime I catch a sunset or sunrise on campus, or get a glimpse of a rainbow after a storm, I'm reminded how beautiful campus is. I loved every second that I spent on campus and I can't wait to move back in and be back at my favorite place on earth.

As I wait the approach of my sophmore year, I look forward to being on the Orientation Committee and getting to welcom all of the future Bearcats to my home away from home. I look forward to doing more shows, including Beauty and the Beast, which I am very excited for. I look forward to making new friends and growing even closer to the I already know. I can't wait to see what the future holds for me at Saint Vincent College. Here's to the next three years.