Where Are You Christmas?

Where Are You Christmas?

How to find the Christmas spirit

4
Where Are You Christmas?
Madison Lancaster

I am Christmas' number one fan. I love it. I used to decorate my room every year with snowflakes, stockings, a naughty/nice list and Christmas themed games that I would force everyone in my family to play. There is just something magical about the holidays. I have been listening to Christmas music since around August. I love Christmas. But this year? I feel like the Grinch.

In the words of Cindy Lou-Who, "Where are you Christmas? Why can't I find you?"

Maybe it is the fact that it never really snows in Washington. I never really get to experience a "Winter Wonderland". Maybe it is because my mom and dad decorated the house before I got home. Decorating the house always used to get me in the Christmas spirit. But I did get to pick out our own Christmas tree and then later decorate it while sipping eggnog. I have watched many different Christmas specials of my favorite shows. I have also bought and wrapped presents for everyone. Yet, even with all of these Christmas festivities, I feel all Bah-Humbuggy.

I learned a long time ago that Christmas is not about presents, giving or receiving. It is more about spending time with your family and friends. Even with this in mind though, I still felt so.... off. There I was surrounded by my mom, dad, pets, and one of my sisters and yet, I felt nothing. I just went off to my room and laid there wondering if it would ever feel like Christmas around here. I was being selfish. Honestly I forgot what the true meaning of Christmas is. I was so caught up in searching for Christmas, that I did not not realize it was unfolding before my very own eyes.

When my sister came home from school, I was a little bit happier being home. When my grandpa came into town, things felt a little bit livelier around the house. When I picked up my brother from the airport last night, it felt like everything was coming together the way it was supposed to. I can only imagine how much better it will be on Christmas morning and Christmas Eve when I am sitting in the family room around the tree with my parents, my grandpa, my three siblings and their significant others. Right there, that is the Christmas magic I was looking for.

I cannot emphasize enough how important family and friends are around the holiday season; please hold tight to them and never let them go. Do not wait so long like I did to come to this realization. Christmas music is pointless if you do not have people to sing along with. Christmas cookies are useless if you sit there and eat them by yourself all day. Christmas movies are less enjoyable unless someone is there to laugh at them with you. Forget the traditions, the tinsel, the presents, the snow and the mistletoe. Christmas is not Christmas without the ones that you love.

So, Happy Holidays from me and my family to you, and a Happy New Year!