Sophomore Year Ended Up Being Nothing Like I Expected

Sophomore Year Of College Ended Up Being Nothing Like I Expected, And I Am Thankful For That

Sophomore year you were filled with fun times and hard lessons, but overall I wouldn't change a thing!

83
Allie Houston

As my sophomore year is coming to an end I look back fondly of this past school year. At the beginning of this year, I would have never guessed how hard this year could have been for me.

I got in my first car wreck this year and although thankfully no one involved got hurt my beloved car was pretty messed up. The wreck happened pretty recently and I still currently do not have my car fixed. Getting in a car wreck hours away from your parents makes you grow up really fast because the insurance is constantly calling me. I have been in touch with them so much relaying messages between them and my dad which can be a bit stressful at times.

I have talked about my roommates before, but I did not realize how much not being comfortable in my own home would affect me. My roommates made it pretty clear they wanted nothing to do with me from the very beginning, and at first I was ok with it but eventually, it got to the point I avoided going home. I would go home and the tension would be so much at times that it was not worth dealing with so I would go over to my friend's house and hang out with them until it was time for me to go to sleep. I would go home to a disgusting apartment because I was not there to clean it up, and that also took its toll on me.

This year my friend group got a whole lot bigger. We gained some other girls and I absolutely adore them. After this year I cannot imagine these people not being in my life.

Sophomore year, especially spring semester has taken everything out of me. To quote my advisor "why on earth would you take the two hardest classes this major offers in one semester." I wish I would have been told these were the two hardest classes because this semester has truly pushed me to the max. I would like to think that I am pretty good at school considering I usually make great grades, but this semester I feel like all I constantly do is study. It also adds a little extra sting when I study all the time and my grades are not nearly as good as I would like for them to be.

Ever since graduation night, I had been waiting for this to come. My absolute best friend in the entire world finally came to Mississippi State, after one and a half years of her being at a junior college. This was a major positive for me because it is always nice not having to have a long distance friendship anymore. Every week we make sure that Wednesday for lunch we get together usually for some food in the union and catch up on our lives which has been something that I look forward to every week. One thing I was really worried about when she was coming to State was that I would be spending all my time with her and without realizing it not spending as much time with my other friends that I have made throughout my time at college, but that has proven not to be true. I especially like the fact that we have our own separate friend groups in college, but we still are best friends.

I finally got a job this year and I did not realize how this has bettered my life in many different aspects. I like that having a job has introduced me to people that I would not have ever known otherwise, the people that I work with are amazing and make it enjoyable every time I go into work. I quickly became friends with my co-workers, and because of that, it is an extra joy to my life. Another positive to getting a job is I enjoy the fact that I have my own money. I have had several jobs throughout high school, but this year is my first year having a job in college.

This year has been filled with nights spending time with my best friends. Some of the memories I have made this year will stick with me forever. For example, going out one night in crazy colored wigs to celebrate my friend Ada's birthday. That was a wild night filled with crazy stares from plenty of people, but we did not care because we were having the time of our lives and that is what the birthday girl wanted. Another amazing experience this year was Mardi Gras, I had so much fun that weekend. It was filled with crazy adventures. At the time this next memory was not good, and even now I wish it would not have happened, but at least now it is a story I can tell. And that would be getting thrown up on at Semi not once, but twice. I was so mad at the time and quite honestly disgusted that I could not stop crying, also the sad thing is I wish I could say that was the only time this year I got thrown up on, but it happened one other time I guess I am just a magnet to those things. Whether it was staying in to watch movies, having one of our many game nights, or going out it is truly the time spent with the people I love that mean so much to me.

Sophomore year, you made me cry, happy, doubt everything, and really struggle. Overall, I absolutely would not change a thing this year has made me grow so much as a person in so many different aspects of life. In high school, sophomore year was the hardest, and although I hope that is true for college. I know that if I can get through this year I can get through anything, so bring it on Junior year!