An Open Letter To My Best Friend Of Almost 16 Years, Thank You For Everything

We have been through it all and I wouldn't change a thing

parek1
parek1
236

KJ,

My how the years have flown. We were just small little itty bitty when we first met. I met you in kindergarten, and though I can't remember the day or the circumstances, I remember you always being a part of my life. Some of my earliest memories include you, me and all our elementary school friends playing on the playground. It's hard to think we went from those little kindergartners, who would run and scream and play, to fully functioning (well almost, if our bodies would cooperate sometimes lol) adults. I have been through most of life's biggest milestones with you by my side as my best friend.

It's hard to think that we spent almost every single day through elementary and middle school together. You were just always there and I definitely took that for granted. When we got to high school, for the first time since we met, we were going to completely different schools and I didn't get to see you every day. It didn't ruin our friendship, it just changed it. If anything, that distance made our friendship stronger and was only preparing us for the inevitable. We learned to make the most of the time when we could hang out, and if that meant I only got to see you by coming to a football game to watch you play, then so be it.

I feel so privileged to be able to have watched you grow into the man you are today. From where you once were to who you are now, you have changed so much. I am beyond ecstatic that you have found Christina and are in the relationship that has made you so happy but has also changed you for the better. I am so happy to see you achieve so much in your dream career. Law enforcement isn't for just anybody, and I know you are going to be amazing at it.

It's still so hard to believe to me that in a few short years both of us will have graduated and in our careers, living our lives and being full-blown adults. Sometimes I wish we could go back to the simpler days when we didn't have the weight of the world on our shoulders. When you lived down the street from me, and not in a completely different state. When we didn't have to worry about things like paying bills and our bodies functioning properly (you more so than me for the first time in our lives lol). But I am so thankful for the years and the memories we have had together. It seems hard to believe it's been almost 16 years, but it's 16 years I will never want to take back, and a friendship to last a lifetime. You are more than my best friend, you are my brother and I am so lucky to have you.

Love,

Thor