Long Distance Relationships Are Seriously The Worst, But They're Worth It.
popular

From someone in one.

668
Laura Guerriero

I get asked about what it's like to be in a long distance relationship all of the time.

As someone that has been in a long distance relationship since freshman year of college, I will always say long distance is the worst, but if it's with the right person, it's worth it.

But seriously, it's the worst.

Don't start an LDR unless you're absolutely certain it's what you want. As much as we all like to pretend being away from our significant other isn't that bad, there are certain times in your relationship where you'll be an inconsolable mess for at least a short while (or maybe that's just me).

Short visits make you miss home. I'm lucky that I get to spend summer and winter breaks with my boyfriend, but these breaks make leaving him even harder because, by the time I'm used to being five minutes away from him, it's time to pack up and leave again.

Visits during the year are short, usually just a few days long, and you can't help but think about how short your time together is (although you enjoy every second together). When he leaves, everything is thrown off, because how can someone be here one second and gone the next, and how can you just carry on knowing you won't see them until the next short visit?

I can't begin to imagine what it is like to go to school with your significant other. I've become jealous of couples walking on campus, holding hands. It's kind of sad, but think about it: being able to literally do anything with your significant other at any point because you go to school together, how cool would that be?

It makes you homesick, even if you don't miss home. You miss the feeling of home you get when you're with them: a hug or kiss from them can go a long way when you're stressed out from the three papers and four midterms you have next week. Realizing there they're miles away when you need it the most can make you feel so alone.

"But don't you want the college experience?"

I've been asked that so many times, but for me, this is my college experience. It's like any other decision you make when you start college. I understand that it's pretty much expected for freshmen in college to be single and test the waters, but just because that is the norm doesn't mean I wanted to brush aside what I have for it.

As much as it sucks to be away from your S.O., you do it because it's worth it. To you, it means something important, and you want to hold on to what you have, even if it means being away from them.