Being In A Long-Distance Relationship Doesn't Have To Suck

Cheating and lying are just as likely to happen to someone who's not in a long-distance relationship.

533
Daniela Paredes

As college students, being in long-distance relationships is incredibly challenging but also increasingly common — especially with the technology we have at our hands and due to the internet. I myself met my boyfriend on the internet. He was living halfway across the country from me when we met on a dating app. Much like the people who loved and surrounded us, we doubted it would ever work.

How exactly do you make a relationship with someone halfway across the country from you work?

That was the question bubbling in my mind from the moment we realized we liked each other.

On a whim, but following my heart's desires, and with the support of my loved ones, I flew to meet him and our connection was electric and instantaneous. We knew we were going to start a relationship, but we were both afraid a long, difficult, and painful road awaited us if we made that decision.

The truth I discovered, however, was that long-distance relationships don't have to suck. They're not easy, and it's not everyone's cup of tea — that's for sure. Nevertheless, it is truly all about learning to navigate the intricacies and the challenges of this kind of relationship.

Our society has created a stigma around the notion of long-distance relationships because people always expect the worst. Those who were critical of us believed we would cheat, lie, or be unable to handle the distance aspect of the relationship.

But, communication is key in any relationship. Cheating and lying are just as likely to happen to someone who's not in a long-distance relationship.

No, long-distance relationships don't have to suck. If anything, most people go through them at some point in their lives and deem it a unique and learning experience.

If you love someone, distance does not have to be the ultimate barrier. People who love each other will always find a way to make it work. Love, support, transparency, sincerity, and kindnesses are behaviors and feelings that you can share with someone regardless of distance.