10 Secrets To Staying Close With Your High School Bestie

10 Secrets To Staying Close With Your Hometown Besties In College

No matter what people say, it's possible to stay best friends forever.

190
Brianna Farr

My hometown best friends and I were truly inseparable in high school. Seriously, we spent every waking moment together. But when the time came for us to go away for college, each of us chose a different path. We became long distance best friends overnight. Three years later, despite the distance between us and the infrequent visits, we have managed to remain the closest of friends. So if you want to know the secrets to remaining friends with your hometown besties in college, you've come to the right place.

1. Send lots of text messages.

Victor Hanacek on Picjumbo

Take a few minutes out of your day to text your best friends. A simple "how are you?" text can go a long way.

2. Talk on the phone as much as you can.

Zbysiu Rodak on Unsplash

We all know that texting is not the most effective means of communication, so try giving your bestie an old fashioned ring on the phone whenever you can.

3. Surprise your friends with snail mail.

Catkin from Pixabay

Everyone loves getting little surprises in the mail. Sending your best friends a card for their birthday or face mask before finals in the mail is a simple way to say I love you and I'm cheering you on!

4. Plan to go home on the same weekends.

Steven Ma on Goodstock

Always be sure to let your hometown best friends know when you're planning to visit home. Chances are, they'll meet you there!

5. Make attending important life events a priority

Sofiya LevchenkoSofiya Levchenko on Unsplash

From birthdays and engagement parties to breakups and crises, it's imperative that you show up for your friends. Experiencing the ups and downs of life together will keep you closer than anything else.

6. Visit each other at college

UNC Charlotte

Trust me, visiting your friends at college is always worth it. You'll finally understand why your bff can't stop talking about that cute little coffee shop on the corner.

7. Make an effort to get to know their college friends.

Brianna Elizabeth

Making time to get to know your friend's friends will make all of your conversations easier. Plus, it's always nice to meet the new people in your best friend's life.

8. Take a fun trip together.

Brianna Elizabeth

Planning a fun trip together is an intentional way to spend time with your besties from high school, even if it's just for a weekend. This will give you plenty of time to catch up, and you'll make new memories while you're at it.

9. Share the details of your life with them.

Beth Gordon on The Mighty

Never stop including your hometown friends the latest news and drama of your life. They are your biggest fans and lifelong supporters, so keep them in the loop.

10. Just show up when they need you.

Brianna Elizabeth

This is the ultimate rule of friendship. Just show up when your friends need you, and everything else will fall into place.