11 Reasons Why Long-Distance Best Friends Are The Best

Distance makes the heart grow fonder and friendships grow stronger.

261
Rachel Wong

Having a little piece of home in college is key, and for me, that can be found in my best friend from high school. Whether it is a friend from when you were younger or one you just became close with after graduation, having a best friend from home in college is important and here are a few reasons why.

1. Every break is a reason to celebrate

What better reason to celebrate than being reunited with your best friend after many months of not seeing one another?

2. Long-standing traditions

You and your best friend are bound to have traditions that you carry on from before college. Whether it be a specific place you eat together or an annual event, you always have something to look forward to when you are reunited.

3. Unbiased Opinion

You are able to vent to your best friend about people from your school that he/she doesn't even know. This makes life so much easier because you get real advice without being worried that people from your school will find out.

4. Facetime

You always have someone to Facetime and remind you of home when your family is busy or you just want to talk to someone without being judged.

5. Gifts

Care-packages from best friends are the best because only your true best friend knows what you want to be receiving in college.

6. Strong bonds

Whether it be from high school or when you were a toddler, the friendships you make before college are extremely important. Those memories and hard times you go through are witnessed by your best friend, and they all contribute to an unbreakable bond between you both.

7. Someone to talk to always

Whether they like it or not, your best friend has to be able to talk to you whenever you need it. You have a sort of unspoken standard that even if it is out of pure boredom your best friend is expected to text you back.

8. New friends

If you visit your friend in college you are able to meet all of her/his friends and vice-versa. Expanding the friendship circle!!

9. Visiting cool places

You are able to go to wherever place your friend goes to college because being someone's best friend means you are willing to house them if they want to visit you.

10. Someone to help you either move in or move out

This one is my personal favorite because my best friend from high school helped me move out of my dorm last year. It's always easy to call on a close friend that is already on break or that starts later than you to help you move. They are morally obliged to help you!

11. Never getting tired of one another

This is probably one of the most important points. Like people always say "distance makes the heart grow fonder". I definitely think a little bit of space is key to a great friendship, and the distance is also a great challenge to see which friends are true enough to stick around in college!