Local Music Treasures

Local Music Treasures

Take the time to support your local bands!

9
Local Music Treasures
Sebastian Sullen

In every city, there is a local band scene. These bands rely on the community to go out to shows and support them; whether it's just by going to shows, buying their music and merch, or sharing their music all over social media. Any amount of support helps these local bands continue to make music and achieve their dreams of making it big.

Now I'm from metro Detroit, music has always been apart of this wonderful city's history. I like to call Detroit a music city where many local musicians had their start here and then made it big. The Temptations, Diana Ross, Smokey Robinson, The Jackson Five, Micheal Jackson, and Eminem were all once just local musicians that made it big here due to the amount of local support. This city still has many local musicians and bands here that dream of making it big, and I'm going to highlight just two.

One of the two is Rival Summers. I've been a huge fan of Leo's since his start. Not only did he start of acoustically, but there was a time where he had a full band sound. Both sounded great, and the evolution of his music so far just shows how much better he will become later on. And from the just the support of the local community as well as the state of Michigan he went from being a local treasure to being known and loved all around the United States have a solid fan base in many different cities. Not only is he a talented vocalist, guitarist, and pianist, but he is also one talented songwriter. If you've never heard of Rival Summers or you have and haven't listened to his music I'm asking you to take a little time out of your busy lives just to listen to his music, your day will be made just a little bit better.

You can check Rival Summers out on Spotify Here:https://open.spotify.com/artist/7Ie0aeKnpTysvGKGv8...

Another band I want to highlight is Rocky Loves Emily. Now for those of you who know of this band and know all the names of the members, yes I am related to the drummer, but that isn't the only reason why I am writing about them now. Plus, just because my cousin is in a band doesn't mean I like their music (sorry Pete and the rest of BDB, but your music wasn't my favorite). But the moment I heard RLE's first song, I was hooked. From being just a local Detroit band, their music was recognized by the record label Tooth and Nail and recorded an album and released it nationwide in all the hot topic stores. I've seen and heard the evolution of their music and watched them go through the tough decision of leaving the label and being able to release new music for two years. I've seen them grow as people, and throughout their journey, they always took the time to meet and chat with fans all around the nation. They recently released, what I believe to be, the best album of their entire career.

You can listen there earlier music on Spotify here: https://open.spotify.com/artist/4yjDetBvx6US1EigHT...

and their new album "Miserable Love" here:

If you haven't checked out your local scene in your city/state you are missing out on a lot of great music and great people. Give your local bands support!