Living To Work Isn't As Bad As It Sounds

Working to live might give you all the money you've ever wanted, but it won't fulfill your soul.

112
Katie Corken

There are two kinds of people in the world, those who work to live and those who live to work. Before I looked up the latter, I pictured the elderly men and women often seen working until they pass away, their lives meaning no more than the amount of time they were on the job.

I wasn't aware living to work had more of a positive connotation because of the reality shows I've compared it with.

The people on The Real Housewives, Chrisley Knows Best and other actors and actress on reality TV all seem to have a job only to accommodate for their high-end lifestyles, but never because it was their passion.

Mark Kolakowski from The Balance defined the two categories as:

1) "These people view their work or careers largely as toil whose purpose is to earn the money necessary to support themselves and their dependents."

2) "Their lives center on their work or careers and that achievement in their professions is a major source of satisfaction and meaning in their lives."

The way Kolakowski explained why there are people who live to work was the same idea my college roommate had. She's a natural science major and wants to work as a doctor in the medical field.

Even though I see her working with children, she's keeping her options open which is another reason why I love her.

Navya is one of the most down-to-earth and insightful people I've ever met. She's one of those intellectuals who makes you shut up and listen because you know what she's about to say is going to be good.

Last night when she inspired me to write about this topic, she found herself relating more to the living to work category. Her reason was her passion for the medical field and all that it has contributed and continues to contribute to society.

In spite of the fact that I'm working at a job solely for the purpose of paying for my existence at UT Austin, I aspire to have a future job where I live to work.

I want to have a career that fulfills my hopes and dreams, even if it sounds a little cheesy saying it out loud.

Although it's easier said than done, those of us who haven't reached our goals yet, we must remind ourselves that it's only a means to an end.

At first, I was okay with working to live because at least I'd have money, but my roommate has inspired me to find that job where I focus less on the money and more on the feeling it gives me.