Living With A Younger Brother

Living With A Younger Brother

"Get Out Of My Room!"
234

You were either really happy or really sad when you found out you were going to have a little brother. But for better or for worse, your life certainly has been changed since they were born.

Some of you may only have a one year difference between you and your brother (s) or others may have up to a ten year difference. Having a younger brother makes life interesting for sure. There are moments when they annoy the heck out of you but there are moments where you're proud to be the big sibling.

I was always overprotective of my brother when we were younger. I also made sure he was on the bus with me or that he knew what was going on. There is a natural instinct about being an older sibling and protecting your younger ones. And it is something that never really changes.

Until the younger sibling starts to look like the older sibling. I stopped growing about six years ago while my brother that is three years younger than me continues to grow. People would ask him on my college tours if he was the one that was going into college. The worst is when people think he is my boyfriend...no comment on that one.

As they get older they also seem to forget the concept of how to be quiet. My brother slams every door in the morning, even on the weekends when he is up before me. Boys are just loud humans in general so don't expect to be able to sleep in soundly in the weekends.

As a sibling, you feel proud and happy when your younger sibling does something great. As an avid baseball player, my brother has experienced winning championship games and is an overall great athlete. It is exciting to be at one of his games and watch him do well. It is a proud older sister moment. Whether your younger brother plays sports, acts, or plays an instrument, it is nice to watch them grow and succeed in life.

So there will always be the days where you "wish they were never born". But as you get older you will come to appreciate your younger brother or brothers and all of their habits. And remember that they look up to you as the older sibling so set a good example.