Living With Divorced Parents

Living With Divorced Parents

Having divorced parents is not an ending.

179
Living With Divorced Parents
TC Jew Folk

Many people have an image of what the perfect family is supposed to look like. This includes having a loving mother who will always be there, a hard working father, siblings who fight sometimes, and possibly even family pets. I had this image of what a family is supposed to look like ingrained in my head. When I was little, I did not stop to think about the future, for I was too young to realize what was going on. One day however, I had to grow up and rather quickly too. I was in fourth grade when my parents filed for divorce. I can vividly remember leaving my dad’s house to go live at my grandmother’s home with my mom and two sisters. I was so lost, and I continuously asked myself, “Why did this have to happen to my family? What happened to cause this? What did I do wrong?” I blamed myself for the divorce, and sometimes I still do. I stayed with my mom for a few years; bouncing from house to house and even living in a car for a little bit. Those years were very tough for my sisters and me. My mom went through some rough times also, and she and I disagreed and quarreled often. My mom got into trouble with the police a few times, causing my dad to fight for custody of us children. My older sister did not want to live with my dad, and so my little sister and I moved in with my dad in the year of 2009; and we have been with him ever since. He is really supportive and plays the role of father and mother, a difficult task yet nevertheless appreciated. I do not know what I would do without my dad. He has been there for my sister and I since the beginning and provides us with everything that our hearts desire. He never wants us to feel left out because we do not have a mother in our life. Although he knows it is difficult on my little sister and myself, he tries his hardest to make sure that we are well cared for.

As I look back at my life and see how things played out with the split of my family, I have realized that there are positive aspects as well. The absence of my mother has made me the woman I am today. Living with my father and being the oldest sibling in the household, I learned responsibility and accountability at a young age. I have learned to care not only for myself, but for my sister as well. I strive to be the best that I can be every single day, and it has helped me to become a stronger person.

I am at college now, and being here has made me appreciate everything that my family and close friends have done for me. I have learned from my little sister how to trust in people. I have learned in my father how to be mature and know right from wrong. I have learned from neighbors how to love people even though they are family. It is reassuring how loved I really am, even though my family is split. I have taught myself how to appreciate what you have and to not look back and wish you have more. I am content in with who and what I have in my life.... Are you?