Living With HIV

Living With HIV

HIV is not a death sentence, not literally and not socially.

8
Living With HIV
coastaldigest.com

Learning that you are HIV-positive can be one of the scariest and shocking experiences someone can go through in life. You may feel frightened, shocked, confused, and angry, and these are all normal feelings and natural ways of dealing with something that can totally change a person's life. But we need to remember that HIV does not have to stop one from living a long, healthy, and a happy life. With the proper treatment and support, it is possible to live as long as a person not suffering from HIV. Sometimes, the hardest aspect of finding out that you have this disease is dealing with the opinions and prejudice of people. As a society, we still have a lot to learn about this uncured virus, and we have yet to step ahead and become more educated about the subject.

People who have to live with HIV constantly deal with the ignorance of people who believe that it can be transmitted by having any contact with a person who is infected. It always amazes me to see that although we have so much information on the subject, we still find ways to isolate, hurt, and discriminate against people who battle with this disease on a daily basis. What should be recognized is that these people have the courage to battle and to remain strong and optimistic. We need to understand that instead of passing an unfair judgement on the issue. We must be part of the solution.

The media has, in this specific case, done an amazing job. HIV has become an issue that has been openly spoken about for almost 20 years now. The influence the media has in regards to this issue, as well as the amount of awareness in can bring, is really significant. I am sure most of you are familiar with “General Hospital," one of the most popular soap operas on American television. It caught the attention of many viewers in 1995 when they included an emotional and touching storyline to the show. Two of the show’s most compelling young characters were facing the cruel reality of HIV and AIDS. The charismatic “Robin Scorpio,” played by Kimberly McCullough, and “Stone Cates,” played by Michael Sutton, had important roles in television in the 1990s; they didn’t just portray a story, but instead, they spoke of the importance of sexual education, as well as the pivotal role society plays in the treatment of HIV patients.

It is important to remember that HIV became prominent in the 1980s, and although many medical researchers came up with many alternatives to battle the virus, most of them were not effective. It wasn’t until 1995, during the “AIDS Cocktail,” in which a treatment was found. Doctor Georgie Krucik explained that patients receiving combination therapy were reported to have decreased viral loads, increased CD4 counts, and increased T-cell counts. The life expectancy of HIV patients has grown much closer to general mortality rates since the introduction of anti-retroviral therapy. Therefore, the introduction and ongoing successes of the “AIDS Cocktail” has brought a sense of renewed hope about not only the longevity of an HIV-infected person’s life, but about his or her overall quality of life" (Krucik 1).

There are a lot of misconceptions about what it means to be living with HIV. In the end, we only have one life, and we should be able to live it fully without any prejudices or fears. There is no certainty in life other than death. Don’t waste life hating or spitting on the ones who carry the HIV virus.