Living Together Is Different

Living Together Is Different

Relationships: the highs and lows

8
Living Together Is Different
self

"Would it kill you to put the toilet seat down?" "Why is the dishwasher not unloaded?" "Can you just listen to me for a second?" and most importantly, "I love you".

Nothing is perfect. We all have bad days and each one of us says things we don't mean. With that being said relationships are hard. I will admit there are days I'm hard to handle, and I'm not always the easiest person to get along with. With that in mind living together has taught me many things.

1.) Be patient.

We all have a lot to do and only so many hours in a day to get it done. When I say that I'm not saying make excuses and don't get things done; I'm saying always be understanding when things take a little longer than planned.

2.) Don't speak out of anger.

Angry words can be apologized for but the pain they cause isn't erased. We both get feisty at times and say things we don't mean but ever since we began living together I've learned its best to take a step back, breathe and talk issues out like adults instead of hollering.

3.) Yes, you can ask "How was work?" but leave anger from work at the door.

Yes I would love to know how your day went and what you've had to do all day but I don't want to get the attitude that comes through the door when "a truck blew up" or "the phones at work rang non-stop", or "They changed my schedule AGAIN tis week". I'm just as guilty as the next person but we all need to take in the old saying "work is work and home is home". So feel free to talk about it, just don't holler about it.

4.) Cherish quality time.

Today's world is a busy one and we take for granted the time we get to spend together. Sometimes "date night" is going to the grocery store together because it has to be done and grabbing food at the closest drive thru. Resulting in a night filled with unloading grocery bags, and watching Netflix while eating Taco Bell. Some nights we don't even feel like leaving the house so it's grilled cheese sandwiches on the couch while watching reruns of the Big Bang Theory, and at the end of the day those nights are just as special.

5.) Don't go to bed angry.

Yes like every other couple in the world there will be days we fight, but never will I ever go to bed without telling you goodnight, sweet dreams, and I love you right before kissing you to go to sleep. We might get angry, we might fuss and fight but at the end of the day nothing is worth hurting you or myself. At the end of every night put your differences aside and realize that tomorrow is another day and its better to go to bed with the intentions of making tomorrow a better day instead of letting harsh feelings from the night before haunt tomorrow.

6.) Always kiss goodbye, and say I love you every time.

This world is unpredictable these days and we never know when our last day will be, so don't ever leave without saying goodbye and remember to say I love you one more extra time.

With those few things being said I want to say thank you Cliff for sticking it out with me. We have proven that living together can be difficult at times; however, I love being able to come home to you everyday and wake up to start my days right beside you. You're such an amazing man and I'm so thankful for how much you do for me on a daily basis. You're one of the greatest things that has ever been mine. I love you & together we can make it through anything.