Moving in Before Marriage

living Together before Marriage is a good thing, 10/10 Recommend

Despite what society, your grandparents or religious beliefs says about this; living together before marriage is a good idea.

1301
Harlee Lynn Photography

You might be one to think, "well I stay with my S.O. all the time, so I know how it's going to be for marriage," but that's not necessarily true. You might even be staying the night every night under one of your parent's roofs, but nothing compares to truly sharing one roof and the same bills.

I was one to always say, "I will never live with my person before we get married." Little did I know how ignorant I was. Shacking up before the big, "I do" is bound to lead to judgment from everyone and their dog… but this could be very beneficial for a future marriage to last.

"Tradition is strong," says April Masini, relationship expert and advice columnist. "Many people are still the first generation to live together and whenever you break tradition, you've got questions to answer and judgment to be passed." Consider these benefits before you decide if living with your S.O. before marriage is for you.

Harlee Lynn Photogaphy David + HannahHarlee Lynn Photography

Save money.

You cut the cost of bills by splitting them with another person. Instead of two rents, you pay one. Not only this factor, but you also get to see your partner's spending habits. You're able to help decide whether he or she should maybe not spend that extra money on something frivolous, but instead put it into a savings account for your future wedding and or honeymoon.

Get a first hand look at what marriage will be like

This is by far the most important part of living together before saying, "I do." As much as social media makes marriages look seemingly perfect, it's not all rainbows and butterflies. Masini says, "Many couples don't realize that the day-to-day of such a long-term commitment is fairly mundane. Living together before marriage will give you a chance to try it out, past the honeymoon phase, before you seal the deal." Living together before marriage will allow you to see the less than exciting moments, so you aren't caught off guard.

Two words... cleaning habits

Let's be honest, your S.O.'s cleaning habits could be the make or break for some relationships. Living together before marriage can show your partner's true living style; not just the clean you see when you're over to Netflix and chill. Do they make their bed? Do they put the dirty clothes in the basket or leave them on the floor? Do they ever dust? Do they do the dishes immediately or wait for them to pile high in the sink? This is the time to divvy up chores and house responsibilities.

Learn sleeping patterns.

Sleep is very important to most people and if you've ever stayed the night with someone for the first time it can be… awkward. You aren't used to them yet so maybe you don't even fully sleep through the night. Shoot, you might even fart in your sleep. Moving in together will give you time to figure out each other's sleeping patterns and be comfortable. After all, sleeping patterns for some people is a deal breaker and that wouldn't be a fun honeymoon.

Learn the day-to-day.

The little things are especially important to making a relationship work. We all have morning routines and a specific way we do things. If you live together before marriage it's destined to work better because we all have a side of the bed, a spot at the kitchen table or on the living room furniture. Knowing these things helps the experience of marrying better because you will be spending less time worrying and more time enjoying.

Prepare for the future.

Most people have kids after they get married, if they do that, they don't always have time to learn from each other, unless they were already living together. Living together before babies and marriages means you can discuss the plans you have forthe future, so you two can agree on what you want. Once you bring a baby in the mix there's no longer time to focus on learning each other's habits the focus becomes your baby and family. Getting time together before starting a family or moving in together before marriage helps make it to where there's only one baby in the house.

Having your life settled so that after your honeymoon you already have a place to live, furniture, routine, and a steady support system makes for a future lifetime of happiness. So, ignore the nay-sayers and move in together before marriage.