9 Things I Learned Living In Off-Campus Housing

9 Things Living In Off-Campus Housing Has Taught Me

You think you are an adult and can do the whole "adult thing" but then you live on your own, and realize just how much of an adult you are not.

3694

I thought that moving off campus and into my own house would be easy, why wouldn't it be? I managed to survive college for the past two years, what would make this any different? Sometimes it takes actually living on your own to realize how much of an "adult" you really are not.

1. Cooking a meal every night isn't easy

Living on campus you get your food made for you for all three meals of the day, I thought once I lived off campus that I would cook myself meals every day. Boy was I wrong, cooking isn't as easy as it looks.

2. Your house won't clean itself.

You never realize just how quickly a house can get dirty, and there's no one there to clean it for you. Bummer.

3. Missing garbage day is actually a big deal.

Living at home and on campus, you really don't realize how missing garbage day messes up your whole week, at least I didn't realize that. Missing garbage day means trying to fit two weeks worth of recycling and garbage into the two small bins you have at your house, and that just isn't ideal.

4. Having parties is fun, cleaning up afterward isn't

When you go to parties that are not at your house they are fun because you aren't the ones who have to clean up the mess after. I can't even begin to list off the number of times the thought " I would hate to be the person who has to clean this up" after arriving or leaving a party. But if you have one of your own, good luck because you are that poor person who has to suffer the consequences.

5. Laundry piles up, and it piles up fast

I never realized how quickly laundry piles up before living off campus, and boy was I in for a surprise. If its hot outside, forget it, you are doing laundry 2 times a week because no one enjoys wearing sweaty clothing.

6. Air-conditioned

dorms were a blessing.

Taking the free air-conditioned dorms for granted is something I regret the most. Take advantage of the AC while you can, because no one wants to pay that electricity bill.

7. Bills will sneak up on you

Going from not paying bills to paying them is a learning curve. One week you are enjoying yourself and spending money however you like, the next you have 54 bills to pay. Bills are a thing, and yes you pay them every month, and paying them is so much fun!

8. Having a morning commute isn't fun.

Going from waking up 10 minutes before your class is not a thing anymore when you live off campus. This means waking up atleast an hour before class to take into consideration there might be traffic or any other event that could possibly cause you to be late for class.

9. Finding parking on campus isn't guaranteed

Depending on the time you have class, good luck getting that parking spot close to the building you have all your classes in. This is really a fun situation to be in when its windy, raining or snowing and you have to walk 1 mile to your building.