Living Close To The Border: 49 Things We Can All Relate To

These are some things we can all relate to when we're living so close to the border.

62

I see the border!

Whether you grew up 5 minutes away from the San Diego/Tijuana border or 8 minutes away, we all share one thing in common, and that is: we live in the best part of San Diego. Note that I am not extending further than 10 minutes away, but I’m sure you can relate to some of these. Whether you live in Chula Vista, Otay Mesa, or Imperial Beach, I have compiled a list of 49 things that almost everybody from this area can relate to.

1. We have the best taquerias in the county (if not, also the country)

2. You can’t decide whether you want to go to Lolita’s, Armando’s, Jilberto’s, Los Taquitos, Northgate (or whatever other taco shop you prefer) to make your own tacos at home.

3. You spend at least four days of the month at the Imperial Beach Pier.

4. You always have a hard time on 4th of July trying to find parking at Silver Strand beach, Coronado beach, J-Street, or Imperial Beach.

5. You can’t decide whether to go to Plaza Bonita, Las Americas, or Chula Vista Mall.

6. You go to Tijuana at least once a month to get some tacos.

7. You find your whole school, all your co-workers, or all your family members at the Walmart in Dennery Road or Saturn Blvd.

8. You try (at least once) getting a gym membership at the YMCA.

9. You attended either Montgomery High, San Ysidro, Southwest, Castle Park, Mar Vista, Hilltop, Chula Vista, or Ocean View, because Sweetwater, Bonita, Otay Ranch, Olympian and Eastlake were too far.

10. People from up north always ask you if it’s dangerous to live next to the border.

11. The majority of the population consists of Mexicans and Filipinos.

12. If you’re out of town and you meet another San Diegan, they’re never from around your area.

13. You see skaters everywhere.

14. Back in the day when you were at Walmart and Nextel was a big thing, you always heard the whole conversation through the phone “Trae los huevos” or “Y no se te olviden los pañales wei.”

15. At least once a day you hear somebody blasting Corridos down your neighborhood.

16. Southwestern College is the popular college, and it’s convenient because it’s close from home.

17. You buy a Chamango at least once a week at Teresita’s.

18. Your mother warns you from going to Silver Wing, or Lucky Waller park at night.

19. You always begged your parents to take you to Knott’s Soak City as a kid (or what is now called Aquatica).

20. You can hear concerts from Cricket Amphitheatre all the way to your house.

21. You party in Tijuana as early as 16 years old.

22. You drive five minutes south and you end up in Tijuana, then you drive up 20 minutes and you encounter the rest of the beauty that San Diego county has to offer.

23. The real struggle is trying to go to an In-N-Out because you’re stuck between Eastlake and National City, which is a real drag.You drive 15-20 minutes east just to enjoy some good Nuyo frozen yogurt.

24. You’ve tried (at least once) to race across the Strand’s long road that connects to Coronado but then realize that there is a cop sitting around there so instead you put your head out the window and scream to the top of your lungs.

25. As a kid you always wanted to jump on the big pile of salt that is right off of Palomar (in front of Bay Blvd).

26. You were sad when Fun-4-All closed down.

27. You freaked out to the loud BOOM when the city demolished the power plant.

28. You have at least one family member that works at the Navy Base or know somebody who does.

29. You get mad when somebody with Tijuana license plates cuts you off (You Mexicans turn into non-Mexicans in a split second and start cussing them out) You know who you are.

30. We have the very first exist of the I-5 and I-805.

31. You have a love/hate relationship with Palm Avenue.

32. You always mix up B-L street.

33. There is always so much traffic during the holidays because we get people from up north coming down and then people from Tijuana going up north.

34. Sunday mornings consist of Northgate or any food truck around your place.

35. You go to Denny’s or Rally’s after going out.

36. You get mad when you drive through Downtown’s one-way streets because you’re not used to it.

37. You never know where to eat in Chula Vista Mall because EVERYTHING IS SO GOOD!

38. You get excited when you shop at Sprouts.

39. We’ve all talked to the old man that walks up and down Palm Avenue every day at least once in our lifetime.

40. You always pass by Home Depot but never go in.

41. You start to hate Hometown Buffet because the lines are always super long.

42. You grew up at the Oasis ice cream parlor.

43. You’re still mad that the Go-Kart place that went out of business.

44. You’ve ran down the canyon at least once in your lifetime (the one behind Montgomery High).

45. You’ve tried biking all the way to Coronado with your family/friends at least once.

46. You’ve camped at Silver Strand beach at least once.

47. You can never find a parking space in Imperial Beach.

48. You eat Buffalo fries or campechana fries at least once a month.

49. You most likely live close to a trolley station.