Living Alone In College Is The Best

Living Alone In College Is The Best

Living alone is absolutely amazing.

147
Living Alone In College Is The Best

I am a senior in college and have lived alone for almost two years. I get a lot of different reactions when I tell people that I live alone. People I talk to who have also lived alone, typically only have positive things to say about it. As for those who have not lived alone, I get asked a lot of questions like “don’t you feel so isolated?” or “aren’t you bored/lonely all of the time?”

The thing that a lot of people don’t realize is that I don’t mind being alone, in fact, I cherish my alone time. I am a someone who loves being around people and will talk your ear off for just about as long as you will let me. The way that I recharge from this is by spending time alone. So get the idea that only introverts live alone out of your head right now.

I’ll tell you right now, if you have the right personality for it, living alone is absolutely amazing. I am a very organized person and typically my living space is very clean, but it isn’t always that way. I’m not perfect, my apartment doesn’t always look like a container store catalog but the beauty of living alone- it doesn’t matter.

When I have a million things going on, I don’t have to worry about the clothes I left in the dryer or how clean the kitchen is. I never get annoyed at a roommate for being messy or not doing their share. I love not having to deal with roommate drama or the tension that it brings, for me, I need my home to be a drama free zone, which living alone ensures.

One thing to consider before you decide to live alone is cost. When you live alone, you get to make your space completely your own. The negative side of this, especially for a college student, is that making a space your own costs a lot since you have to supply all of the furniture/decor by yourself.

You might also have to live a little further away from the center of town if you want a space that is all your own.

Personally, I don’t feel isolated living alone/off campus, but every once in a while I do think that it would be nice to have someone to cook with or to get ready with before going out.

For me though, those are small sacrifices. If you love getting ready with your friends before a night out or your roommate TV nights where you religiously come together to watch The Bachelor, then living alone probably isn’t for you. When you live alone, you have to invite people over or go to a friends place to do these kinds of things, which has been totally fine for me.

I have had a dog since the day I moved in, which has made living alone much easier. I know for a fact that I wouldn’t like living alone as much as I do if I didn’t have my little guy to keep me company. If you decide to live alone, I highly suggest getting a pet.

On the other hand, living alone can make having a pet a much bigger responsibility. I can never be gone for too long because I am the only one responsible for taking care of him, which I am fine with and am able to do. If you are considering living alone and have or are thinking about getting a pet, think seriously about whether or not you are ready for that responsibility.

Overall, living alone for my last two years of college has been a great experience. Living alone suits my lifestyle and my needs but as much as I love it, it does have its downsides. For me, the positives far outweigh the negatives but living alone definitely isn’t for everyone.